6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2014 6:40 AM by Mark Fraser

CSV extract column order

Siva Tunga

Is there a way we can sequence the columns in the CSV extract in specific order.

I have a requirement where the CSV download is used by another application.  The challenge is in 6.1 version it was in one order. Once I upgraded to 7.0 the column order has changed  and is causing errors to the other application. How can we control the columns to sequence in the CSV extract.

• 1. Re: CSV extract column order
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Siva,

I'm not sure I quite understand the issue. Would you be able to attach screenshots of the issue?

Is it a different CSV file that is being connected to? Is the issue happening when you're connecting to Tableau or when you are exporting?

-Tracy

• 2. Re: CSV extract column order
            Siva Tunga

The issue is happening when downloading the file from Tableau workbook. Version 6.1 to 7.0 order is different. This is causing our data download process from tableau server workbook fail.

• 3. Re: CSV extract column order
              Philippe Verhaeghe

Having the same issue, I finally found a trick to control the order.

I create a calculated field for every column I want to export. Tableau is generating automatically an internal name for the field, different from the one you entered. You can check it by trying to rename your calculated field and pushing the reinitialize button in the renaming window. Tableau should display a name like 'Calculation_...' which is the internal name.

It seems that fields in csv export are ordered alphabetically based on this internal name.

I made a change/replace of these names in the .twb by names like 'C0001', 'C0002' ... for example.

Then in the exported csv I find C0001, C0002, ... so the right order.

You can then rename the field with the header that you want, it will not change the order, and wherever you place it in the report, it will be exported in the alphabetical order of the internal names you have choosen.

NB : Be aware that this will not be supported by Tableau as you change manually the twb file.

I haven't done intensive tests yet but it seems to do the trick.

• 4. Re: CSV extract column order
                Sarah Rowe

Hi Phillippe,

Can you please elaborate on how you achieved the column ordering on export? I am trying to do this exact same thing as I have a requirement for a specific export order from a customer.

Thanks very much in advance!

Sarah

• 5. Re: CSV extract column order
                  Mohd Shahrukh Naveel

hie

My client wants to download the underlying data in a particular format.

But when we download the data it is not coming in a sequence.

I have tried renaming dimensions and measures in tableau as alphabetical order it did not worked.

I have tried renaming dimensions and measures in tableau as numeric order it did not worked.

I have tried renaming dimensions and measures in tableau as alphabetic and numeric order it did not worked.

I have tried putting dimensions and measures in a calculated field and renaming the calculated field as C001_,

C002_ but it also did not worked.

Please help me.

• 6. Re: CSV extract column order
                    Mark Fraser

have you tried renaming the columns at data source before you connect to Tableau?

then once the data source is relinked, try doing the export again

FYI - Tableau always does the data export using the column headings in alphabetical order (a-z) so it maybe easier to do the renaming step at source before you connect to Tableau.

Cheers

Mark