7 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2012 10:13 AM by John Liska

Calculating a percent based off of a targeted row value

John Liska

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there is a way to create a calculation that captures the % of a specific row value. This is difficult to describe so I've attached some example data in Excel.

The goal is to understand how the sales of a number of products stack up against the sales of one particular product in a set. As you can see in the Excel file example the goal is to understand how products 1, 2, and 4 compare to the sales of product 3. As it is laid out in the example I'm seeing the totals and percentages by geography. However, if the user chooses to look at all regions at once then the SUM values for product 3 will be different, and subsequently the "% of Targeted Sales Vol" for each of the products 1, 2, and 4 will also be different. Therefore the calculation must be dynamic: it would still anchor on product 3 but the percentages would be based off of the new totals at the aggregate level of "All geographies".

Unfortunately I'm new to Tableau so these types of calcs are fairly challenging for me. Thanks in advance for any insights.