1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2012 6:34 AM by Jonathan Drummey Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Top N by Metric by most recent month??
        Jonathan Drummey

Hi,

Tracy was close - the Top docs filter (updated) field does need the Compute using set to Date:

screenshot2.jpg

And the nested calc Index needs it's compute using set to Advanced..., with Month, Year of Date and Doc (in that order) on the right-hand Compute Using window adn Order Along Cases/Sum/Descending, with Restarting every Month, Year of Date:

screenshot1.jpg

I've also reattached the file, just in case there was something weird with the version I uploaded earlier.

Let me know if this works!

Jonathan

• 16. Re: Top N by Metric by most recent month??
          Stan Bush

The line graph still doesn't work..... sorry.   I notice that Doc does not show up when editing the table calculation for Index.

Region.png

• 17. Re: Top N by Metric by most recent month??
            Jonathan Drummey

Fascinating...I'm not sure why that is happening, Doc should definitely be available to the table calculation.

Thanks for the screenshot, that gives one idea. I can tell from the Advanced dialog that you are running 7.0 or 7.0.1, and the workbooks I posted yesterday were both with 7.0.4. I'm wondering if maybe there's some slight difference between the versions that's creating an issue.

If it's possible for you to upgrade to 7.0.4, I'd recommend that first.

As an alternative, try dragging Doc to the Rows Shelf and then going back to edit the table calculation settings and see if the field shows up.

If that doesn't work, then drag the Top docs filter off the view, and try dragging it back on and editing the table calc settings.

If that doesn't work, then drag the Top docs filter off the view, edit the calculation, copy the formula, and create a brand new calcultion. Drag that back into the view and follow the instructions from the prior post on setting the compute using for this new calculation.

And if that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas, it might be something for Tableau tech support. Maybe Tracy Rodgers has an idea?

Jonathan

• 18. Re: Top N by Metric by most recent month??
              Stan Bush

Jonathan,

Thank you SO MUCH for all your help! I was able to get it to work. Had to put the filter on the Level of Detail, edit the table calculation there, then drag it to Filters. No idea why THAT worked, but it did.

Thanks again...

• 19. Re: Top N by Metric by most recent month??
                Jonathan Drummey

You're welcome!

I figured out what was going on for you, I apologize for not thinking of this sooner! Prior to 7.0.4, table calcs on the Filter Shelf could only "see" the dimensions on the Rows or Columns shelves, so to get a table calc filter to work that needed other dimensions on the Marks Card, the filter had to have an instance of itself on the Level of Detail, as you found out.

Cheers,

Jonathan

1 2 Previous Next