1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 17, 2012 2:08 PM by James Baker

Want to be able to click on a field and it run a query to pull additional data into a new worksheet.

Inez Ornelas

I have a worksheet with a field as "Resources".  When I click on that field I would like to execute a new custom query with new fields on the next worksheet.  If I run a new custom query, the data from the first worksheet disappears.  Is there a way to run separate custom queries within the same Tableau file?  Please help.

• 1. Re: Want to be able to click on a field and it run a query to pull additional data into a new worksheet.
          James Baker

I think this is pretty common.  This would be called an "Action", specifically a Filter Action.  Presumably you want to do something with a particular value in that field, like go get more details on a particular resource.  This is typically done by creating a "resource details" sheet, which you have the Filter Action apply to - filtering that sheet down from all resources to just the resources you selected in your first sheet.

I'm not sure what you're doing when you say you "run a new custom query".  Each sheet, when you view it, produces a query against your data source.