3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2012 2:31 PM by Ian Simpson

Is it possible to add more than one constant reference line?

Ian Simpson

Hello! I have a table that shows the expenses into a set of gl accounts on a bar chart. Is it possible to have individual reference lines for each bar to indicate the budget for that account? Any other way one would portray this?

I do have data for the budget but I have not been able to properly blend the data to have them mesh together in a working format. If anyone has any tips for me it would be greatly appreciated... obviously I am pretty new to tableau!

• 1. Re: Is it possible to add more than one constant reference line?
          Russell Christopher

Hey Ian --

Welcome! Once you get your data blended, what you want to do should be pretty straight-forward.

I'd suggest you post a "slice" of your data in a very sanitized format to the forum - maybe 1 worksheet for GL actuals, one for budget. Just give us the absolute minimum amount of data that demonstrates the problem you're having getting Blending to do what you want it to.

After your data has been "blended" you can use per-pane reference lines to show the budget value, or draw budget on a secondary axis (the "Dual Axis" feature). Either technique will get you what you want.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is it possible to add more than one constant reference line?
            Ian Simpson

My problem is that for one data set I have the date as a dimension and can filter it to the first month of our fiscal year but for the other data set I have the dates as 12 "periods" in measures. It seems when I have them blended I can match up the first data set with the date as a dimension, say March, but when I add in the budgets for say period 1 (March), I cannot filter out dates of that period and it displays data for all period 1's I have data for rather than for the fiscal year I am looking for. Hopefully this makes a little bit of sense I'll look into posting a slice of my data.

• 3. Re: Is it possible to add more than one constant reference line?
              Ian Simpson

Maybe it is possible to create a calculated field with the first set of data that actually has the date data and have that field calculate the totals for just one month of the date data so I can match it up to period 1 of the other data set.