4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2012 12:20 PM by david.raff

Cannot "fit" within dashboard

I am working on the attached project where I would like to make a series of dashboards that essentially have two rows and a column.  I have fixed the sheet size to print to a landscape letter size piece of paper.  Each sheet within the dashboard I would then like to fit to the space that is allocated such that I don't see white space and I don't see sliders. 

I would have thought that "fit" would be the appropriate way to try to accomplish this, but alas, fit is greyed out and I cannot access it.

I would also think I could specify the size of the worksheet before adding it to the dashboard, but I do not see any option for adjusting the size of the sheet itself without manually dragging one of the sizes.  This seems pretty imprecise.

Any and all thoughts / suggestions / solutions very welcome!!!!

Thank you,

Dave

• 1. Re: Cannot "fit" within dashboard
          Shawn Wallwork

I would also think I could specify the size of the worksheet before adding it to the dashboard, but I do not see any option for adjusting the size of the sheet itself without manually dragging one of the sizes.  This seems pretty imprecise.

Yep, very imprecise David. But with a bit of patience you can get it to look like this:

David.PNG

The trick is to make the maps smallish on the worksheet page, so they don't fill the container on the dashboard. Then 'sneak-up' on it as you drag them to fill the container (and don't get too greedy ). I attached your workbook with the first one done. I also added borders to the title and headers (couldn't help myself).

--Shawn

PS: How's you generate the shape file?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cannot "fit" within dashboard

Thanks for the response.  I like that better then the way I was doing it.  But as you point out... not very precise.

The shape files were obtained in ARC format .shps from respective Federal agencies.  .shps converted to Tableau polygon approach using Richard Leeke's shapetotab function which was very helpful.

• 3. Re: Cannot "fit" within dashboard
              Shawn Wallwork

Cool!

Richard has put in a lot of time and research coming up with some very useful add-ons/utilities (programs really). It's good to see people putting these to good use. Right now he's working on the next-gen of his Circles showing distance on maps. I don't think he would mind if I gave you a sneak peek:

Richard-Circles.PNG

This shows a five mile radius around my client's stores against Tableau's online map. In previous versions of Circles you were pretty much limited to circles around a point. Adding other elements, such as custom shapes and even labels, was difficult, if not impossible. As you can see he has solved these problems. And by the way it load extremely fast!

Anyway, I'll let him tell you more about it when he's ready.

--Shawn

• 4. Re: Cannot "fit" within dashboard

Fantastic.  Do you know if that would work on top of a polygon map such as the ones i had?  This would solve a huge hurdle I was faced with in that I would like to show a layer of "points" on top of the map as it exists now.  I could use circles to accomplish that potentially.

Thanks.