4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2012 11:29 AM by Chris Gerrard

The Amazing Mystery Tooltip

Chris Gerrard

Have you ever encountered a Tableau situation where you sit back, scratch you head and think (or say aloud): "What the Dickens is that? Where'd it come from? How did that happen?"

Here's another one: the Amazing Mystery Tooltip appears out of nowhere, shows up when you're trying to access a tooltip you've created, and has no trace except when it shows up and gets in the way of the one you really want to see.

I've posted a sample Workbook to Tableau Public here, and a blog post about it here, and attached the twbx.

As far as I can tell, the AMT is an artifact left over from the construction of the viz. It has no visibility in Tableau Desktop's UI, so there's no way to eliminate it, or to configure it to be the same as the "real" one.

Poking around in the twb hasn't revealed anything yet, either. So its origins and operational mechanism remain a true mystery.

• 1. Re: The Amazing Mystery Tooltip
          Shawn Wallwork

Chris, maybe this is not so amazing after all. It's definitely not an 'artifact'. I reworked your workbook (attached) and here's a screen shot of the lines tool tip:

Chris-1.PNG

Here are the circles tooltip:

Chris-2.PNG

Personally, I'd consider this a bit of a bug. You might want to report this to support.

--Shawn

• 2. Re: The Amazing Mystery Tooltip
            Shawn Wallwork

Chris, I played around with your workbook a bit more, and figured out a way you can use the 'bug' to your advantage. If you change the first MIN(Tide Height) to MAX(Tide Height) then only the Event shows in the line tooltip. Then if you put the Event and MIN(Tide Height) on the same line in the tool tip, Tableau will suppress the entire tooltip for the lines.

Chris-4.PNG

Looks like this:

Chris-3.PNG

So I guess this is one of those fortunate 'bugs'.

--Shawn

• 3. Re: The Amazing Mystery Tooltip
              Chris Gerrard

Shawn,

Well, bust my bubble. I thought I had a bona fide mystery on my hands, but it's just a case of Tableau stopping the processing of the tooltip presentation when it encounters a field reference outside the current graph context.

Which is just a bug.

On the other hand, I imagine there are legitimate circumstances where one could want (if not need) distinct tooltips for the different parts of a dual axis viz. In which circumstance there's the case to be made for having the distinct tooltips individually configurable. This is the frame of mind I had when I encountered this: two axis = two graphs = two tooltips, particularly when there are two different tooltip displays; and I couldn't find the second one.

For background, the dot-graph has the day of week in its level of detail, but the DOW can't be added to the line graph's LOD because it messes up the display when it is.

This also brings up the need for Tableau to implement a coherent model for the design and configuration of complexly related elements. There are plenty of places in Tableau where there are similar relationships, and they're not easy to manage.

• 4. Re: The Amazing Mystery Tooltip
                Chris Gerrard

And it -is- extremely interesting that Tableau suppresses the display of the entire tooltip line, and all subsequent lines, when it encounters a field not in the current context. It would be better if the unreferenced field were simply omitted from the tooltip's contents when presented.

It's not definitive, but this TWB code for the tooltip suggests that the processing of the <formatted-text> node aborts upon encountered an unreferenced field, truncating the tooltip's contents at the last successfully processed line, i.e. "<run>" node:

<customized-tooltip show-buttons='false'>
                   <formatted-text>
                      <run bold='true'>&lt;</run>
                      <run bold='true'>[csv.40987.875386909720].[none:Event      :nk]</run>
                      <run bold='true'>&gt;</run>
                      <run bold='true'>Æ&#10;</run>
                      <run bold='true'>[csv.40987.875386909720].[min:Tide Height:qk]</run>
                      <run bold='true'>[csv.40987.875386909720].[none:weekDay :nk]</run>
                      <run bold='true'>Æ </run>
                      <run bold='true'>[csv.40987.875386909720].[none:date                    :qk]</run>
                   </formatted-text>
                </customized-tooltip>