2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2012 5:08 AM by Russell Christopher

Switching from "Import all data" to "Import a sample of the data"

Hi there,

I have a data set that's currently imported with all data and I'd like to switch to using a sample of the data only. Is it possible to switch to a sample after you've already been using the data? Hoping I don't have to recreate all my reports.

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

• 1. Re: Switching from "Import all data" to "Import a sample of the data"
          Alex Kerin

You can change data sets, trim it down, do whatever you want. Of course I would recommend saving as a different tableau file - just in case....

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Switching from "Import all data" to "Import a sample of the data"
            Russell Christopher

As Alex said, you can do this, and in 7.0 you can do it pretty easily.

Let's say for example that the particular subset of data you're interested in working with has a particular column value...maybe a field called "cars" with a value of "ford". You could Duplicate your original data source and then in the copy of that Data Source, set up a Global Filter as "Cars=Ford". Now your duplicate data source returns the sample you're looking for.

Want to view that sample data set in the sheets that are pointed at the original data set? In 7, do this:

On the Data menu, choose Replace Data Sources

Swap your "old" data source with the "copy" which represents your sample

Play with your sheets

Use Data | Replace Data Sources again do put things back the way they were.

Hope this helps!