7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2017 6:00 AM by Keith Drakeford

Extra space in Layout Containers

Carey Smith

Does anyone know why extra space sometimes shows up in Layout Containers and/or how to get rid of the space?

For example, in the attached image I have a Horizontal Layout Container. Comparison Filtered is set to a fixed width, Product Set is not fixed. I would expect Product Set to expand to fit the remaining space, but instead extra space appears at the right. It isn't possible to remove the space by dragging the divider bars.

I've also seen the same behavior when working with containers of views. Sometimes the extra space is added, sometimes not. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Extra space in Layout Containers
          David Pace

The filters and legends won't expand to fill space in the direction of the flow container.  They have a preferred size and will stop once it's reached.  In a vertical container they will expand in width to fill the remaining space but in a horizontal container, they won't expand past their preferred size and this why you have the extra space.

You can manually set the fixed size of each filter to something larger than the size the container will ever be.  The container will see that it cannot fit both filters in at their preferred fix size, so it will divide the space up evenly.  Click the triangle button near the x to open the menu and click Edit Width... to do this.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Extra space in Layout Containers
            Carey Smith

Thanks David. That helps with the parameters since these are contained within a fixed size container.

I'm still seeing the same issue with some worksheets within containers, though, and the behavior doesn't seem consistent across dashboards I've built. For example, in the attached image, I have a Horizontal Layout Container with one non-fixed width worksheet and one fixed-width Vertical Layout Container. Extra space shows up to the right.  On a different dashboard, I have an identical container layout and don't see the extra space. This makes me wonder if the order containers are added has some affect on how they are displayed.

• 3. Re: Extra space in Layout Containers
              David Pace

Similarly, some types vizzes expand to fill containers but others do not.  In the first case you can see the left viz (that is not fixed size) is not expanding to fill the remaining space while the left viz in the 2nd screenshot is expanding. 

It's a little hard to tell from the screenshot but the first viz appears to have discrete labels for columns while the second has a continuous x-axis.  The axis will expand to fill space but labels will not.  You will see this same behavior if you add the first viz to an empty dashboard.  It won't expand to fill space, it will just take up the space it needs in the upper left corner.  Note the discrete fields (blue) on the shelf create labels while continuous fields (green) create axes.

• 4. Re: Extra space in Layout Containers
                David Pace

In your case if you wanted a particular viz to expand to fill all of the space its given, you can change the fit to "Fit Width".  See attached image.3-16-2012 2-48-35 PM.png

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Extra space in Layout Containers
                  Carey Smith

Thanks David. I ended up solving the problem by placing the troublesome worksheet alone within a container (fit Entire View), and nesting that container within the container that was doing the sizing. Tableau expands the container holding a single worksheet to fill the empty space even when it won't expand the worksheet itself.

• 6. Re: Extra space in Layout Containers
                    AJ Freeman

select container --> click the drop down arrow and uncheck fixed height or fixed Width

4 of 5 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Extra space in Layout Containers
                      Keith Drakeford

I think you mean select the "sheet", not the container - the layout container does not have the "fixed height" option but by unchecking this option for the sheet in the dashboard, the sheet expands to fill the whole layout container, eliminating the extra space. This fixed the issue for me.

1 of 1 people found this helpful