5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2013 10:53 AM by Wendy Zhou

create pop up windows in tableau

Meng Hui

Hi all, want to know can we create pop-up windows in tableau? Means that when we do filtering and drill down to detail, the information will appears in windows or dialog box? If it is possible, can share with me?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: create pop up windows in tableau
          Andy Cotgreave

Hi Ming Hui

For this kind of thing you can use various Tableau features:

1. The tooltip can reveal basic or advanced information. I wrote a series of blog posts about this when I was blogging for the Data Studio: http://www.thedatastudio.co.uk/blog/the-data-studio-blog/andy-cotgreave/terrific-tooltip-tricks

2. You can use dashboards with Actions set to "Hover" - so that when you hover your mouse over one section of a dashboard, an adjacent worksheet/web page will change, It's not quite a popup but it's close.

Andy

• 2. Re: create pop up windows in tableau
            Meng Hui

Hi Andy,

Can we create crosstab inside the tooltip instead of chart? I don't want to use the view data function.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: create pop up windows in tableau
              Andy Cotgreave

Hi Ming

You could, but it wouldn't be easy. You'd have to build the whole table manually: ie create a table calc to work out the Column Headers (by using LOOKUP/PREVIOUS_VALUE) and the row headers and cell values all separately. It would be possible, but difficult, and possibly very slow. YOu'd be better building an action to a different sheet on the dashboard to show the crosstab.

Andy

• 4. Re: create pop up windows in tableau
                Meng Hui

Hi Andy,

I see. Thanks for your advice. By the way, may I get your consult on filtering multiple data sources?

Will it be possible if I want to use global filter from one data source on different data sources? For example, the global filter (Order_ID) is from data source A, then I want the global filter to filter the data from data source B and C. Data source B and C also contains the Dimension Order_ID. Do you have any suggestions? If possible, I don't want to use parameter for the filtering.

My another problem is to filter data through action. For example, in Worksheet 1, I have a pie chart that display the percentage of sales by different sales method (data is from data source A). Then, in Worksheet 2, I have a map (from data source B). Then, when I click one of the sales method in the pie chart, I want the map showing which location is using the selected sales method. I was stuck because the map data source (B) don't has the sales method dimension, so I cannot do filtering. Do you have any solution to solve this problem?

I would really appreciate if you can help me. Thank you very much.

• 5. Re: create pop up windows in tableau
                  Wendy Zhou

Looking for similar functions setting in Tableau. Hopefully, there is going to have a easier way to do this.