12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2017 12:59 AM by Boris Nelson

how to include detail text tables in views

Tobias Klemm

Hi guys,

I've been working a lot with Tableau for the past few weeks and I really like how easy it is to create graphical views and find out trends or outliers in our data. What is missing for my users to understand the data better is a detail table that would show the underlying non-aggregated data. I know that I have always the option of clicking: view data and then select the underlying tab, but that is two clicks away and not really integrated in the view. Its also showing all columns and not as neatly formatted as I like it to be.

If I create a separate worksheet with a cross tab for showing the data it's difficult to make it work because I have only textual information and no measures that I want to include into this detail table.

I'll give you an example to clarify the situation:

We are trying to analyze faulty parts with focus to the source of the fault. We have a lot of dimensions like Brand, PartGroup, BatchDescriptor, Customer, FaultDate, ProductionDate, FaultCategory, ProductionPlant and so on. I can now create nice views that let me find out what Batch of what Part from what Plant has a lot of faults. But it would be great if I could click on a spike in the view and have a table with underlying data columns containing textual information describing the complaint the customer had with the part, the warranty status and the result of the analysis of the faulty part and so on.

What would be the best way to integrate this in one tableau report.

Thanks in advance.

Tobi

• 1. Re: how to include detail text tables in views
          Shawn Wallwork

Tobias, one option is to include the info you want in the tool tip. With a bit of ingenuity you can cram a lot of info into a tool tip:

in-cell-time-series (1).png

This was taken from Andy Cotgreave's Data Studio blog here: http://www.thedatastudio.co.uk/blog/the-data-studio-blog/andy-cotgreave/sparkbar-tooltips He has some other tool tip tricks here:  http://www.thedatastudio.co.uk/category/tableau/tooltips

--Shawn

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: how to include detail text tables in views
            Tobias Klemm

Hi Shawn,

good tip for a spot to display detail data - but I think think there is not enough space to fit a table in there. I will definitely look into it.

Thanks,

tobi

• 3. Re: how to include detail text tables in views

Tobi,

If you want a details table and really haven't got a suitable measure, you can always create a measure out of an attribute. Along the lines of min([Attribute field]). Then make sure you have an id field or the like in to keep the table at the detail level. (I initially thought you should just add the number of records as the measure then hide the column, but that doesn't seem easy to do.)

If you include this along with a chart, you can then make the chart into a filter and the two become linked. Right click the chart and select "Use as filter". 

The workbook attached has something similar. Was this the sort of thing you were after?

Steve

• 4. Re: how to include detail text tables in views
                Tobias Klemm

Hi Steve,

If you want a details table and really haven't got a suitable measure, you can always create a measure out of an attribute. Along the lines of min([Attribute field]). Then make sure you have an id field or the like in to keep the table at the detail level.

that is I have been using so far. I thought there might me a more elegant way to do this in tableau.

The main problems I have with this solution occur if I want to show more than 7 text columns or pretty wide text columns, because tableau only enables scroll bars for the table body. Since I can only add one column to the table body (if its a text column) I have to add the rest as dimensions. The dimensions make up the row header and there is limited space available for the row header. That is probably the reason why tableau will start grouping more dimensions into one column after 6. I modified your tbwx to show what I mean.

I might have to use several cascading detail views maybe.

I also hoped that there is a possibility to include the underlying data table that exists anyway in a dashboard directly. Maybe hide or exclude some of the columns.

Thanks for you help so far.

tobi

• 5. Re: how to include detail text tables in views

I see what you mean, Tobi. It is pretty annoying that Tableau doesn't allow more than one text measure. I can't see an obvious way round that.

I thought you could use a single text measure with a formula to vary what it displays. The problem is you need something to trigger a number of different rows to appear in the table. Duplicating all your data would work - but not what you need!

One alternative is to bring in a separate data source with, say, seven dummy rows and then use that to trigger seven rows in a table. Slap your formula in to a measure and you have something close. You aren't going to want to display many records in this way or it will blow the performance. Probably best to use it as a detail table for a single row.

The problem then is filtering. Since you have a worksheet with the primary data source being the dummy rows, filtering on the secondary (original) data set doesn't work. The actions filtering on the dashboards do though. So you can get it set up to filter based on a selection from a more standard list worksheet with the details for the selected row being displayed.

Understand that? I'm not sure I do! Take a look...

(Not sure whether it will be of any use in practice, but it helped me understand better how the merging and filtering of datasets works!)

• 6. Re: how to include detail text tables in views

Hello friends -

Depending on the complexity of your data, you could try mapping text columns to understood (but logically bogus) numeric values, and then utilize shapes / images to get you there.  I did something similar to this in reverse once; I had some numeric data (i.e., ratings on a 1-5 basis) that my consumers wanted to understand as 'strongly disagree/disagree/neutral/agree/strongly agree.  It took a good deal of data pre-processing/cyborging, but eventually I mapped a view such that I had columns like this:

response 1 numeric: 5

response 1 text:  strongly agree

response 2 numeric: 3

response 2 text: neutral

Then, you can bring your measures into a table, and paint by shape, and then utilize the custom shape component to illustrate your data.  I can't upload the workbook proper due to data concerns, but here's a screenshot of what I eventually was able to do.

Clearly if you have a ton of data, or dynamic data this might be too cumbersome, but for some types of data sets, it might be worth it. 

brian

• 7. Re: how to include detail text tables in views
                      Tobias Klemm

Thanks guys for your ideas:

to Steve: Good Idea to put the column names in a dimension I will give that a try next time when I wanna display a detail for just one item. I don't know why but in the twbx you attached it only worked for the ID column. But as I said, I'll give it another try next time I get around to it.

to Brian: Also an interesting idea but does not work for me because I have to many distinct text values to map it conveniently

The solution I went with for now:

I created composite dimensions that consist for example of three existing dimensions. I added '+" \LINEBREAK +" between the members of these composite dimensions to put them each on a new line within the cell. I disabled aggregation and converted one dimension to a measure. This way I get all my textual information in one table and can display detail on more than one item.

I will add an image with an example.

• 8. Re: how to include detail text tables in views
                        Michael Cristiani

Guys,

You can set the number of dimensions visible one the row and column shelves before combining by using Analysis | Table Layout | Advanced.  Then in the Rows and Columns section of the dialog, increase the default of 6.  The max is 16.

MANY BLESSINGS!

Peace and All Good!

Michael W Cristiani

• 9. Re: how to include detail text tables in views
                          Jonathan Drummey

Hi Tobias,

A workaround for the issue where Tableau does not create a horizontal scrollbar on the dimensions is to add additional text columns by add additional (fake) axes to the view. I combined a bunch of different ways to do this and enable different forms of conditional formatting in the following post:

http://community.tableau.com/message/171852

Jonathan

• 10. Re: how to include detail text tables in views
                            Tobias Klemm

Thanks guys.

@Michael

good tip to bump up the number of columns, haven't found that option before.

@Jonathan

Genius idea creating as many axis as you'd need to display text column. I'd never thought of using it this way.

• 11. Re: how to include detail text tables in views
                              Ismael Peregrina

Hello Steve

It is very interesting this solution that you provided to the detail window , it is exactly what I am looking for.

The only problem that I find with the workbook that you provided is that I cannot take a look at the SQL query you used for one of the data sources. Could you please post it so I can take a look at it ? I have to say that I have no idea how you made it so that when the column dimension is placed in the spreadsheet it does not displays the numbers 1 through 8 that I am guessing is what you set on the script.

Thanks a lot.

• 12. Re: how to include detail text tables in views
                                Boris Nelson

Hello Brain,

Thanks for your earlier post here about mapping numbers to text columns. I need to map the text column values to numbers and was wondering how you managed to get the mapping done in your case? It's not intuitive in Tableau Desktop somehow.

Could you (or anyone else in the Tableau community here) help me out?

Best regards,

Boris