This likely means that you have hidden the field in Tableau, and extracts will ignore hidden fields. To determine if this is the problem (and correct it), follow these steps:
- Right-click on your data source and uncheck "Use Extract"
- Right-click in the "Dimensions" window (or click the small drop-down arrow in the "Dimensions" title bar) and choose "Show Hidden Fields".
- Does the field you want now appear? If not, then you can ignore the subsequent steps. Contact support to help you investigate the problem. If the field does appear, the steps below will make it usable again.
- Right click the field and choose "Unhide".
- Re-create your extract.
Does this help?
I've ran into something similar to this as well. The way I got around it was renaming the field in my custom SQL and rerunning the extract. Most of the time it will reappear in my workbook. Hope that helps.
Renaming the field - even changing the case - seems to works if you've deleted the field. That's because it's now loading a different field, rather than the one it has a deletion marker for.
To fix it without doing this I saved the workbook to a TWB file and then edited it in a text editor (I guess you could use an XML editor). I searched for the deleted field and deleted the hidden='true' statement in the column tag.
When I loaded the workbook in Tableau the name of the field is back, but it's highlighted in red and marked with an exclamation mark to show that it has no data. I then refreshed the extract to complete it.
Nice work guys! I like your investigative work in the xml file, Anthony.
Paul, if you get a solution please let us know by marking the thread answered or else by replying. This goes for any thread you've created. Thanks