3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2012 5:52 PM by Robert Morton

parse error with hive connection

Ashley Shi

Hi,

I am trying to set up a hadoop connection in tableau 7.0. Step 1 to step 3 works well. In the step 4, I can see the table names when i click the select button on the right. Then when I select one table and click view data, there is an error.  Please see the attached screenshot. How to fix this?

• 1. Re: parse error with hive connection
          Robert Morton

Hi Ashley,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with the Hadoop Hive connection. Does this problem just appear with "view data", and are you able to complete the connection and begin building visualizations in Tableau?

We need more information to determine the cause of this problem. Please contact Support so they may work with you to collect your log files, and let them know that Robert Morton is interested in seeing the logs when they are available.

Thanks,

Robert

• 2. Re: parse error with hive connection
            Ashley Shi

Thank you  Robert. I have send the logs to Support. I got the same error if i run the hive command directly. It seems need some configuration. I will also go to our hadoop engineer for help.

hive> select * from default.invites;

FAILED: Parse Error: line 1:21 mismatched input '.' expecting EOF near 'default'

• 3. Re: parse error with hive connection
              Robert Morton

Hi Ashley,

It sounds like you have an old version of Hive, perhaps v0.5 or older. You should consider upgrading to Hive v0.7 or v0.71, which your engineering team may be able to accomplish without upgrading the rest of the Hadoop components.

-Robert