7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2012 12:47 PM by Shawn Wallwork

Tool Tip Bug?

Shawn Wallwork

This has got to be a bug, right? When I write a calc to deal with tool tips like this:

TT-1.PNG

I get this:

TT-2.PNG

As expected, but not what I want. So I change it to this:

TT-3.PNG

And I get this:

TT-4.PNG

A double paragraph is inserted. Also not what I'm looking for. Any ideas? Is this a confirmed bug? Thanks,

--Shawn

• 1. Re: Tool Tip Bug?
          Richard Leeke

You do get the separation you want if you just include 2 fields in the tooltip on different lines in the tooltip editor - so is there any way that you can construct all of the options in your case statement with the same number of lines, then just conditionally create [Tool Tip Display 1], [Tool Tip Display 2] etc as required?

If you have different numbers of lines for different options you'll end up with blank rows.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tool Tip Bug?
            Shawn Wallwork

Morning Richard, yeah I've been bouncing back and forth on this. Even put in a support request. I've attached a workbook with the only two options I've come up with. In the Sheet: Tool Tip 1-2 the hearts display correctly, but the Hospitals then have the blank rows you're talking about, and worst the Highway signs and Calendars show blank rows. On Sheet: Tool Tip Master the Calendar & Highway signs tool tips are suppressed (which is good) but the Hospital tool tip is also suppressed (not good). And the Hearts have the extra paragraph space. Any thoughts?

--Shawn

• 3. Re: Tool Tip Bug?
              Shawn Wallwork

Bump. Anyone? Tableau? Tracy?

Thanks,

--Shawn

• 4. Re: Tool Tip Bug?
                Richard Leeke

I've got it doing everything you want except for the blank lines - which I agree looks like a bug.

The key to suppressing the tool tip is having all expressions in the tool tip window evaluate to NULL. The way you have the expression in Tool Tip 1-2 the new line is always there, even for calendars and road signs. The reason Hospital was suppressed in Tool Tip Master was that Tool Tip Display 1 was NULL for Hospital, and so Tool Tip Master calc field also evaluated to NULL in that case. (Anything + NULL = NULL)

• 5. Re: Tool Tip Bug?
                  Shawn Wallwork

Thanks so much Richard, you're a saint! I was beginning to sweat this one, delivery in less than 2 hours! Not perfect (because of the bug), but at least presentable. Thanks again.

--Shawn

• 6. Re: Tool Tip Bug?
                    Richard Leeke

Just thought of a way to minimise the impact of that extra blank line as I was driving to work.

In the attached, look very carefully at the tool tip dialog. You'll see that I have changed the style of the [New Line or NULL] field in the tool tip to have a font size of one. That has the effect of making it a 1 point rather than a 10 point new line.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Tool Tip Bug?
                      Shawn Wallwork

Richard, even better! I didn't know you could enter a 1 font size, I always thought 7 was the smallest. Reminds me of the map size trick you taught me on the Dual Axis. By the way I also didn't know that 'Anything+Null=Null'. Something I'll keep in mind in the future.

How is morning tomorrow? (Just curious what's in store.)

Shawn