1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 1, 2012 2:16 AM by Jonathan Drummey

Not sure Tableau best practice for data loading in this case

Ryan Trybus

Hello everyone

What I have to do is load two excel files worth of data where one has 4 sheets within it and the other has 8 sheets. We have imported the two sheets into Access to define the relationships because they connect to another. The issue is these tables need to have only one connection point but in reality the table names are one-to-many. When I try to load even half the tabs together for a customer demo using table join statements on the loader the query generally gathers row counts in the millions (there is about 100k rows total for all tabs) and then the program hits that "out of memory" error.

Can Tableau handle relationships for 10+ tables? Is there some kind of approach or technique I should be using when loading? Or is my best bet just to try to combine the tables in access before I import it into Tableau?

• 1. Re: Not sure Tableau best practice for data loading in this case
          Jonathan Drummey

I've done 12 tables as a join from Access in Tableau and it works fine, however it was only returning 29k rows (source tables had millions of records). I'm wondering about your statements that there are "about 100k rows total for all tabs" with "these tables need to have only one connection point but in reality the table names are one-to-many". Does that mean that you'd expect to be returning 100k rows? If so, and the loader is getting into the millions, then something in your join is off. In that case, would you be better off with a series of queries that get UNION'ed together into one big query that is entered as Custom SQL for the Tableau connection?

Jonathan