4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2012 9:01 AM by Shawn Wallwork

Labels on Marimekko charts

Hubert Talo

Hello All

You will find enclosed a test marimekko chart i created (look at the sheet "Chart 3").

My issues are:

- I would like to have for each cell of the mekko chart, the corresponding amount as label.

eg. for the zone representing Manufactur's A proportion of sales of product A1, I would like to have a label showing the value of its sales.

- I would like to have for the X Axis, for each category of product, the total value of sales. So, instead of the percentages, there will be for each product the sum amount sold by the three manufacturers.

I hope it's clear enough.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Hubert.

• 1. Re: Labels on Marimekko charts
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Hubert,

I have reattached your workbook (refer to Sheet 9). I used a dual axis, duplicating the Y Axis. Then, right click and select Mark Type-->Circle. Edit the Table Calculation for the second Y Axis and click OK. Then, toggle to Y Axis (2) on the marks card. Move the size slider as low as it can go. Create a calculation that finds the desired label and place it on the Label shelf. Then, you'll have to manually move the mark labels and remove the extra mark labels.

I hope this helps!

-Tracy

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Labels on Marimekko charts
            Hubert Talo

Hi Tracy,

It worked well, thanks .

I actually tried to do the same thing for the X Axis, in order to add the growth between the two years beneath the values, but I faced some issues:

- When I duplicate my X axis and select "Dual Axis", Tableau does not add X axis (2) in the mark card. I'm therefore unable to chose the mark type, as you explained for the Y axis, neither the label (Which in this case I would like to be the growth). I tried to add a new Y axis too, but it seems like "Tri Axis" Work is not yet included in Tableau .

- Nothing to do with the actual subject, but when i print my work, the lines do not appear. I tried formatting the borders in the format section, but it doesn't help.

Enclosed

- the latest tableau file, with the "Growth" added (see sheet 11)

- What I'm trying to achieve (see slide 2 for what, thanks to your help, i'm already able to do)

- A pdf print, to illustrate my printing issue.

Regards,

Hubert.

• 3. Re: Labels on Marimekko charts
              Tracy Rodgers

Hi Hubert,

As you've discovered, there currently is no way to have multiple mark types when both the Y and X want to be dual axes. Also, there is no way to add a third axis. This might be something you would want to post under the Ideas section of Community.

In terms of getting the borders to print on your PDF, one possible option is to select the drop down menu next to Color on the marks card, select Border and then choose your color. If this does not resolve that issue, send a request to support@tableausoftware.com. Hope this helps!

-Tracy

• 4. Re: Labels on Marimekko charts
                Shawn Wallwork

As you've discovered, there currently is no way to have multiple mark types when both the Y and X want to be dual axes.

Hubert, if this is what you're looking for the idea is already posted here:  http://community.tableau.com/ideas/1087

--Shawn