9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2012 4:57 AM by Shawn Wallwork

Define Marks of Dimension Axis

reinholdmerkle

Instead of showing the values of the dimension as marks of the dimension axis ( = x Axis or Columns) which have a value between 0,00% and 100,00% I would like to display the marks of 10%, 20%, 30%, ...

How can I define or set the axis format like this ?

• 1. Re: Define Marks of Dimension Axis
          Shawn Wallwork

Hi Reinhold, rt-click the axis choose 'Edit Axis' and then choose the ticks tab to choose the interval of the steps.

Reinhold.PNG

If you are talking about changing the formatting (20,00% to 20%) rt-click and choose the format option, then number:

Reinhold-1.PNG

Hope this helps.

--Shawn

• 2. Re: Define Marks of Dimension Axis
            reinholdmerkle

Hi Shawn,

unfortunately it's not as easy as this.

I don't have the values of a measure as the values of the axis but the values of a dimension !

Therefore a right-click doesn't show the 'Edit axis...' text - would have been great.

Cheers Reinhold

• 3. Re: Define Marks of Dimension Axis
              Shawn Wallwork

Bit odd to have percent stored as a dimension, can't imagine why you would do this. Is there a reason you can't convert it to a measure? Is it a text string? If so there's a bunch of parsing you can do to get the display you're looking for.

--Shawn

• 4. Re: Define Marks of Dimension Axis
                reinholdmerkle

... to be a bit more specific here a screenshot of the view which is fine except the raised question.2012-02-24_135055.jpg

I have about 8000 values and each of them has a sequence number.

You could imagine the values as the revenue of different customers.

What I want to see is how many percent of the customers are good for how many percent of the total revenue of all customers.

I calculated this first with a running total of revenue and the according rank (= row number) with SQL directly from the revenue data in the database.

Message was edited by: Reinhold Merkle

• 5. Re: Define Marks of Dimension Axis
                  Shawn Wallwork

Nice looking chart, by the way. If I understand you correctly, here's what you're looking for:

STR(ROUND(([PERCENTAGE OF CUSTOMERS]*100),0)) + '%'

This assumes that the field is number type, and you want the percent rounded to a whole number. Put this on the column shelf in place of the pill you have there now. Is this what you were looking for?

--Shawn

• 6. Re: Define Marks of Dimension Axis
                    reinholdmerkle

Well, not really because I don't want to change these values but only show the rounded values as kind of a positioning. So if the value e.g. is 15,78 I would not like to display it as 15 or 15,5 or 16 but would have such numbers as the mark and not the column value. Hope we come nearer with that additional explanation of my question.

-Reinhold-

• 7. Re: Define Marks of Dimension Axis
                      Shawn Wallwork

... would have such numbers as the mark and not the column value.

So you want to label the marks, not change the axis labels, right? Labeling marks that are this close together is very difficult to accomplish, they tend to overlap as I'm sure you've discovered. You also probably can't be certain your data is going to include values of exactly 20%, 30% etc. so you can't filter the display to show only those numbers. If I am in fact understanding what you want to communicate (still not sure), then you have a couple of options using either reference lines or drop lines. Reference lines would look like this:

Reinhold-2.PNG

Drop lines would look like this (but only display when a mark is chosen):

Reinhold-3.PNG

If you set them to always display, you'd be back to the overlap problem. (See attached workbook)

Is this of any help?

--Shawn

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Define Marks of Dimension Axis
                        reinholdmerkle

The reference lines are for sure a help and a good idea (found this with my tries too) but far more disturbing are the x-axis labels. I´m not sure if Tableau has a solution for that because it´s a dimension and not a measure: I want to display all data values between 0% and 100% but will select on my own which labels are displayed, i.e. preferably the same than with the y-axis in steps of 10% or 20%. Any clearer now ?

- Reinhold

• 9. Re: Define Marks of Dimension Axis
                          Shawn Wallwork

Morning Reinhold, yes that is clearer. I understand now. Unfortunately I think you're right, there isn't a way to do this as long as the x-axis is a dimension. Sorry I couldn't help.

--Shawn