2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2012 10:42 AM by yang.hung

Restrict access rights for certain tabs in same published workbook on Tableau Server

Hi Tableau Community,

I have published a Tableau workbook with around 10 tabs that I plan on rolling out within my whole company. My group would like to restrict access to certain tabs to only certain user groups, with the other tabs being general access. I am wondering if there's a way to do this? As a note, my group does not want to publish two separate workbooks (and thus create different access rights), which was a solution that I initially proposed.

Thanks for your help!

Yang

• 1. Re: Restrict access rights for certain tabs in same published workbook on Tableau Server
          Ken Patton

Since Permissions on Tableau Server don't go down to the individual Worksheet, if they must be in the same Workbook, you're going to probably have to resort to building Dashboards that have baked into them the user-based Calculated Fields like ISMEMBEROF() .

That is going to be less elegant, as Tabs would still be visible to users even if you can suppress the display of the viz on those tabs.

I have had similar deployment requirements on occasion.

What I did was essentially Publish two different variants of the same Workbook (one with all the Worksheets, and one with a subset of them) -- into two different Projects -- then set permissions accordingly to those Projects. Since users can't see the Project not intended for them, they only have visibility to the variant of the Workbook I want them to see.

• 2. Re: Restrict access rights for certain tabs in same published workbook on Tableau Server

Thank you for the fast reply Ken. It's good to know that users cant see the projects they don't have access to. Your example on ISMEMBEROF() is also interesting, I think I will use it in another workbook I am working on.