1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 23, 2012 12:28 PM by Tracy Rodgers

Multiple filter conditions on the same dimension?

Hi community,

I'm getting stuck into Tableau 7 as an analytical platform and I'm stumped on a couple of things:

I have a large set of retail sales data and I was wondering whether it is possible to filter a field (ie. Product Brand) by more than one condition.

For example, I want to count the number of customers who have bought a product from Brand 1, but not from Brand 2. I am aware that either of these filters is possible but need some guidance for combining them and whether this is possible at all.

Additionally, I want to count the number of customers who have bought a product in the last 5 years, but have not bought the same product in the last 6 months. Is this possible in Tableau without already having these metrics against customers in the data?

Thanks for your help!

PS: I should also note that I am working off an OLAP data cube

• 1. Re: Multiple filter conditions on the same dimension?
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Yao,

This should be possible. First, the place Product Brand on the filter, then filter out Brand2. Next, place a date field on the filter so that it will only show the customers who bought in the last 5 years (filter out anything before that). The next part is the tricky part. Create a calculated field that is similar to the following:

count([Product])=countd([Product])

Place this on the view. If it is true, then, the customer has not bought the same product in the last 5 years. Then, from there you should be able to filter out the last 6 months as well.

Hope this helps!

-Tracy

1 of 1 people found this helpful