9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2018 3:07 AM by Ciara Brennan

How do I insert a text box?

Newbie here:  I've looked but can't find instructions on how to insert a simple text box into a worksheet.  Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How do I insert a text box?
          Dimitri.B

You can't insert text boxes as such into worksheets, only into dashboards.

In a worksheet you can use caption instead, and overwrite the text in it.

You can also add annotations to the graph, but they will be dependant on what elements of the graph are visible.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I insert a text box?

So, if I wanted to embed a copyright attribution, for example, into the chart itself (as opposed to using Caption below it) before publishing it, there's no way to do that?

• 3. Re: How do I insert a text box?
              Dimitri.B

You can do something like this, but if you apply any filters to this graph the notice will most likely disappear.

This is just an annotated area, which is essentially a textbox attached to some graph area.

textbox on graph.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How do I insert a text box?

No use if you need to filter -- I almost always do -- and presumably little control over placement.

Am I missing something, or is this a major oversight in a program that is supposed to help people distribute and publish BI?  (I'm still in the process of evaluating Tableau for my own needs.)

I noticed that there's a tutorial on inserting images.  Would this be another way to do it? ie.  Treat the copyright as an image and place it on a spreadsheet in the dashboard view?

• 5. Re: How do I insert a text box?
                  Dimitri.B

I think the image insertion is only for map or scatterplot views, i.e. it allows to replace built-in online map with your own image. It only works for certain types of charts and is useful to build views like the one below (courtesy of Ben Jones)

So if your graph is a scatterplot, then you can probably fudge it.

The other option would be to make a dashboard and add a textbox just next to the graph.

http://public.tableausoftware.com/static/images/Mo/Monopoly/Dashboard1/1.png

• 6. Re: How do I insert a text box?
                    Zach Leber

How about turning on and using the Sheet Title (Worksheet > Show Title).  It defaults to your tab name but you can change that. You can control fonts and colors and use font-based symbols as well.  When you export an image for distribution you can optionally include the title as shown.

Sheet Title.jpg

• 7. Re: How do I insert a text box?
                      Shawn Wallwork

As long as we're in the work-around-brain-storm mode you can also do it with a reference line with line set to none, and label set to custom

At the top:

Misha-1.PNG

Or my favorite, at the bottom:

Misha-2.PNG

See attached workbook.

--Shawn

• 8. Re: How do I insert a text box?
                        Kevin Freeman

Or you could add the copyright text as an entry in your data source. Alternatively, you could pull it in from excel/csv. I would default to one of those options as long as I can make nice looking styling changes; if I really want to customize the look, I would create a nice looking image of a bubble with the copyright text using MS Paint or something similar. Save as PNG or another image format that Tableau recognizes, and then pull the image onto your dashboard. Finis!

• 9. Re: How do I insert a text box?
                          Ciara Brennan

Kevin Freeman wrote:

Or you could add the copyright text as an entry in your data source. Alternatively, you could pull it in from excel/csv. I would default to one of those options as long as I can make nice looking styling changes; if I really want to customize the look, I would create a nice looking image of a bubble with the copyright text using MS Paint or something similar. Save as PNG or another image format that Tableau recognizes, and then pull the image onto your dashboard. Finis!

Thanks for the tips, Kevin