3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2012 9:19 AM by Tracy Rodgers

Table of Contents

I want to create a table of contents that will link to other tabs.  This article discusses how to do it:

http://kb.tableausoftware.com/articles/knowledgebase/creating-table-contents-navigate-other-dashboards

At the bottom it teases you and shows you how you can set up a table with links to many tabs, not like the top part of the article, which shows you how to link to a single tab.  Can anyone show me how I can set up a table with links to many tabs?  I understand I need to bring in data to do this, but I don't know how to make it work.

also, is there a way to use a pull down, like a pull down filter, and when you select a value it takes you to another tab?

• 1. Re: Table of Contents
          Tracy Rodgers

I have attached a sample workbook that places multiple worksheets on one dashboard to make it act like a table of contents that takes the user to the corresponding page. Then four different actions were added from each sheet to go to the corresponding sheet.

The view at the bottom of the KB article is also possible, however, not by running the actions on Select, but rather on Menu. Notice above that view in the article is says:

"Right-clicking the Table of Contents provides a list of possible destinations."

Hope this helps!

• 2. Re: Table of Contents

Thanks. That's helpful.  I'm curious what the article means when it says:

"Right-clicking the Table of Contents provides a list of possible destinations."

Does that mean when you right click you see a list of all possible destinations? I'm not sure how that would work. If you can show me a sample workbook with that too, that would be great.

Also, if there is any way to do a pull down menu where each selection takes you to a different tab...

• 3. Re: Table of Contents
              Tracy Rodgers

That's right. Instead of simply clicking/selecting Central--Furniture in the table of contents tab (as in the workbook I've attached here), the user would right click on it, and select the appropriate action filter in order to be taken to that page. If this method is used, it's important to name the actions so that it is clear where it will take the user.