2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2012 3:25 PM by John Mogielnicki

Mapping Errors

John Mogielnicki

Can anyone tell me what's going on in the attached packaged workbook? 

On the first tab, I tried to split out the zip codes in a filled map, and then color those zip codes based on the county they are associated with.  I wanted to make sure my dataset was accurate in assigning certain counties to certain zip codes.  Instead, the map aggregated everything to the county level.  I thought that if zip codes were in the level of detail the data would be split out to that level?

On the second tab, I have the data split out by zip, but Tableau seems to add in a bunch of dots which accompany the filled zip codes.  I have chosen "Filled Map" as my mark type, so why is Tableau inserting bubbles as well?

On the third tab, I wanted to see what would happen if I put the number of records in the size tab, and for some reason Tableau inserted number labels.  This has happened at other times as well.  Why do the number labels show up?

I'm assuming these are errors in Tableau.  But perhaps I misunderstand the new capabilities?  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

• 1. Re: Mapping Errors
          Shawn Wallwork

John here's what's going on:

On the first tab, I tried to split out the zip codes in a filled map, and then color those zip codes based on the county they are associated with.

You'll need to use a dual axis map to do what you're trying to do. (See attached.) Be aware that some the ZIP codes cross county lines.

On the second tab, I have the data split out by zip, but Tableau seems to add in a bunch of dots which accompany the filled zip codes.  I have chosen "Filled Map" as my mark type, so why is Tableau inserting bubbles as well?

The dots are single point ZIP codes. These are usually PO Box Only and Unique type ZIPs, which have no geometry. Military also usually is a single point, but not always. The Unique types are usually large business: Amazon, Intel, etc.  On the first tab of the attached workbook I added a filter to eliminate these 'dots'. The remaining dots are because your database has a few errors, they didn't put in the correct type. (This happens in my ZIP code database too.)

On the third tab, I wanted to see what would happen if I put the number of records in the size tab, and for some reason Tableau inserted number labels.  This has happened at other times as well.  Why do the number labels show up?

I have no explanation for the this.

I'm assuming these are errors in Tableau.  But perhaps I misunderstand the new capabilities?  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Hope this helps.

--Shawn

• 2. Re: Mapping Errors
            John Mogielnicki

Thanks Shawn!  I really appreciate the help.