12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2015 8:52 AM by Janet Rago Branched to a new discussion.

Help in mapping Guam

elliottmclaughlin

I am mapping several locations via zip code, but when I enter the one for Guam, Tableau puts the locator over near Africa. Is there a way to just use lat/long for Guam instead of zip code?

• 1. Re: Help in mapping Guam
          Shawn Wallwork

Elliott, yes there is. Depending on which version of Tableau you're using you should be able to add Custom Location to the marks that are off of Africa, which is the default position for items Tableau is confused about. You also might be able to just pick Guam out of the drop-down list. Rt-click the marks and see what options you have.

--Shawn

• 2. Re: Help in mapping Guam
            elliottmclaughlin

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am using Tableau 6.1.

Here is the error message I get: The field 'Physical Address Zip Code'

contains 1 geocoded locations that are ambiguous or unknown. Try setting

the default location, fixing the field locations or adding a related

geocoded field.

Thanks,

Elliott

From:       Shawn Wallwork <tableau@sgaur.hosted.jivesoftware.com>                                                                               

To:         Elliott McLaughlin/AWA/FAA@FAA                                                                               

Date:       02/02/2012 10:43 AM                                                                               

Subject:    - Re: Help in mapping Guam                                                                               

• 3. Re: Help in mapping Guam
              Shawn Wallwork

Elliott, apparently Guam isn't on Tableau's ZIP Code radar. I created a workbook for you from a ZIP Code data file I have. It uses the Latitude and Longitude fields from that file, not the Tableau-generated ones. This should get you started.

--Shawn

• 4. Re: Help in mapping Guam
                elliottmclaughlin

Shawn, Thank you. I actually have a Lat/Long for Guam. Is there a way to

just use it for that one local and the Tableau generated ones for the other

locations that map correctly?  Where is the workbook that you created?

Elliott

Date:       02/02/2012 12:45 PM                                                                               

• 5. Re: Help in mapping Guam
                  Shawn Wallwork

The workbook I created is under the paperclip in my response above. The paperclip is obscuring the 'Gu' so all you see is 'am.twbx.zip(13.5K) (Note to Tableau Webmaster, do you really need to cover up the name?)

As to mixing your's and the generated ones, yes it can be done, but it depends on how your data file is set up. Post a packaged workbook and I'll be able to better explain how.

--Shawn

• 6. Re: Help in mapping Guam
                    elliottmclaughlin

I was replying directly via email and not through the website, so did not

see the paperclip. When I did try to llok at the packaged workbook, I get

this message: This file was created by a newer version of Tableau. Please

contact Tableau Software to upgrade your version.

I was able to use Tableau 7 for class last week but we still have 6.1 here

in the office.

Date:       02/02/2012 02:28 PM                                                                               

• 7. Re: Help in mapping Guam
                      Shawn Wallwork

That's strange, I created it in 6.1.5  just for you. Do you have 6.0? Or something earlier? If so you should (might) be able to do a maintenance upgrade for free (I would think?)

--Shawn

• 8. Re: Help in mapping Guam
                        elliottmclaughlin

You are correct. I just checked and its 6.08 (that rounds to 6.1, right?!).

I will have to check to see about how to do a maintenance upgrade.

Date:       02/02/2012 02:52 PM                                                                               

• 9. Re: Help in mapping Guam
                          Bob Nims

Hi Shawn,

I am amazed that two version since this quesiton was posed Guam is still not rendering via zipcode

Bob

• 10. Re: Help in mapping Guam
                            Karl Mayer

Guam ZIP still not found in Tableau 8.3

• 11. Re: Help in mapping Guam
                              Kevin Andrist

I do lots of mapping for North America and globally.  For reasons like this thread, and source files are seldom as clean as I'd like,I find it faster to do the geocoding outside Tableau and then let Tableau take it from there. 

The OP seeing the data point over by Africa is due to the unknown lat/lons being set to 0.000N, 0.000E (or S & W)

• 12. Re: Help in mapping Guam
                                Janet Rago

Guam ZIP still not found in Tableau 9.0.  Almost four years since the original post.