9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2012 2:08 PM by Richard Leeke

Problems with date calculations in workbooks converted from 6.1 to 7

Jeff Ferris

Hi All,

We are seeing an issue where calculated fields that are based on dates loose their appearance as a calculated field when the workbook is opened in Tableau 7. 

On the leftmost of the attached image, you see what the fields look like in Tableau 7, then the same fields in Tableau 6.1 and then what the calc contains in 6.1. The fields are on an extracted data source.

Has anyone had this experience when migrating to Tableau 7? If so, have you found a resolution?

Thanks!

Jeff

• 1. Re: Problems with date calculations in workbooks converted from 6.1 to 7
          Alex Kerin

Can you still right click and edit in 7.0?

• 2. Re: Problems with date calculations in workbooks converted from 6.1 to 7
            Jeff Ferris

I cannot, when I right-click it appears to just be a dim, not a calculated field. 

• 3. Re: Problems with date calculations in workbooks converted from 6.1 to 7
              Alex Kerin

Assuming you've tried refreshing the source and rebuilding the extract, this seems to be a job for support@tableau....

• 4. Re: Problems with date calculations in workbooks converted from 6.1 to 7
                Richard Leeke

This sounds very like a problem a colleague was talking about this morning.  He tells me he has had a lot of problems on workbooks with extracts and calculated fields since upgrading to 7 - with symptoms just like yours.

The symptoms of a calculated field on an extract "turning into" a real field in the extracted datasource can happen in certain circumstances when the .twb file gets out of synch with the extract.  The classic two reasons I know of are:

1) If your create an extract, add some calculated fields, save the workbook, refresh (or optimise) the extract and then exit (or crash out of) Tableau without saving the workbook again.  That leaves the .twb file thinking it has a calculated field which needs to be evaluated whenever it is used, but the extract actually contains a "materialised" version of the calculation.  So when you re-open the workbook Tableau sees the field in the extract with the same name as the calculation and decides it doesn't need the calculation after all because a real field exists.

2) If you have two workbooks which share an extract, adding calculations and refreshing or optimising the extract from one workbook leaves the other workbook's twb file out of synch with the extract.

My colleague is adamant that he hasn't done either of those things - but it sounds as if somehow in the upgrade process the same scenario has happened.

One thing my colleague is doing is incrementally adding to his extracts (and he's also having a few problems with that, perhaps realted to the fact that i's a multiple table connection).  I wonder if something in the workflow he's following there is causing it.  Do you have a multiple table connection?  Are you using incremental refresh of extracts?

• 5. Re: Problems with date calculations in workbooks converted from 6.1 to 7
                  Nicole Le Prohn

I have the same problem I think. Calculated fields that I saved in a workbook in 6.1 (based on dates) were erased when I opened it in 7. All that showed in the measures section was "Calculation 1" with absolutely nothing in the calculation. It has been a real hassle to fix. The workbook is connected to an extract and I had updated extract and saved workbook prior to closing in 7.

• 6. Re: Problems with date calculations in workbooks converted from 6.1 to 7
                    Jeff Ferris

Thanks for the response Richard. 

As a workaround, I had to fire up the old 6.1 server which is a bummer, so I'm definitely interested in figuring it out. 

Like yours, my colleague is not doing case 1, nor 2.  I'm fairly certain he is not, because he has tried re-adding the calculated fields in 7.0, saving, and the issue comes back. 

To answer your last 2 questions: 1. These extracts do not sure incremental refreshes and 2. Yes, it is a multiple table connection. 

• 7. Re: Problems with date calculations in workbooks converted from 6.1 to 7
                      Alex Kerin

Yep, I now have this issue - shared an extract by accident between two workbooks - now I have multiple copies of calculated fields, some of which are not editable - removing the extract causes the calculated fields to not be accessible...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Problems with date calculations in workbooks converted from 6.1 to 7
                        Alex Kerin

I don't think this is even limited to 6.1/7.0 issues - I optimized an extract, crashed Tableau, and all the calculations were materialized in the same way as above with no ability to edit.

• 9. Re: Problems with date calculations in workbooks converted from 6.1 to 7
                          Richard Leeke

Yes, absolutely the problem has always existed if you crash out (or exit without saving) after creating an extract. It's just that there seems to be a new twist added in version 7 which can cause the issue even without doing anything which visibly breaks the assumption about the .twb file and the extract always staying in synch.

The fundamental reason for this is that state is being held in both the twb file and the extract, so anything which causes one to be saved and not the other leaves you at risk getting out of synch. I have long argued that creating an extract should automatically force the workbook to be saved in that state (probably with a dialog which warns you that this will happen in case you don't want to save the workbook for some reason). This also kind-of hooks into the discussion about auto-save to avoid losing work when there's a crash.