7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2012 9:25 AM by Bob Nims

Tableau Server Refresh Schedule

Bob Nims

It appears that the lowest data refresh intercal for server is 15 minutes?  Is this really true?  I need a 5 minute interval to accomplish as task I am currently working on.

• 1. Re: Tableau Server Refresh Schedule
          Russell Christopher

Hey Bob -

It is true. 15 is as low as you can go through the user interface.

If you're handy with HTTP and know how to use a tool like "Fiddler", you should be able to make it work, however.

If you use Fiddler while creating a schedule, you'll see your browser does a POST to Tableau Server like so (look closely at the Body section):

Headers:

Host: localhost

Connection: keep-alive

Content-Length: 343

Cache-Control: max-age=0

Origin: http://localhost

User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/16.0.912.77 Safari/535.7

Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded

Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8

Referer: http://localhost/new/schedules

Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate,sdch

Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.8

Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.3

Cookie: tableau_online_id=2a3866b99934d6d0f5d1eea98006e5c7; username=; workgroup_session_id=0d24095fd5cd63d1806860a617a2b329

Body:

authenticity_token=88c65d835aaa861a0fa88f9e20f840fb829636c9&schedule%5Bname%5D=Test&schedule%5Bpriority%5D=50&schedule%5Bschedule_serial_str%5D=Parallel&schedule%5Bschedule_type_str%5D=Hourly&schedule%5Bhourly_interval_str%5D=15+minutes&hstart_hour=12&hstart_min=00&hstart_am_pm=AM&hend_hour=12&hend_min=00&hend_am_pm=AM&commit=Create+Schedule

Many of these tools (Fiddler included - via the "Compose" feature) will let you take a single HTTP request that it captured (like the one above), and actually "replay it" against the server.

I just did this, changing the interval from 15 minutes to 5 minutes and the name of the schedule from Test to Test1 in the body of the request

When I looked back my schedule list, voila -- there was Test1. If you edit it, it still will SAY 15 minutes, but I'm pretty sure if you try running it, it will run every 5 minutes.

Of course, this is completely unsupported and I can't recommend you try it...

• 2. Re: Tableau Server Refresh Schedule
            Bob Nims

Thank you so much for sharing!  I am gonna give it a try

• 3. Re: Tableau Server Refresh Schedule
              Jeff Solomon

Bob,

Another option is to edit the schedule table on your server using pgAdmin. If you're an admin on your server, you can just use pgAdmin and edit the schedules tables. You want to find the schedule you're interested in in that table and change the "minute_interval" column to 5.

You can download pgAdmin from the web, run it on the same machine where your server is running and then connect to the local instance running on port 8060. Then open the "workgroup" database and find the "schedules" table.

I would like to emphasize that this type of hacking is not officially supported and that if you corrupt your database, support is going to tell you to reinstall as opposed to debugging the problem. You can really get into trouble if you delete or change the wrong row!

Jeff

PS. I was the developer who originally designed the schedule interface and I choose all the time intervals. It's interesting to hear that you have a use case where you want a 5 minute interval. Feel free to add your suggestion to the "Ideas" section of the website so that we can gauge how many users want the ability to schedule on a shorter interval than 15 minutes.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Tableau Server Refresh Schedule
                Jeff Solomon

Actually, it appears that you can only *see* the database tables and not edit them. We don't really allow editing of those tables.

I'm sorry for the misinformation. The workaround already suggested to you will also work. I hope you have success with that.

Jeff

• 5. Re: Tableau Server Refresh Schedule
                  Bob Nims

Thank you for the insightful information Jeff.  Always good to know who built the piece in the first place   In repsonse to your wondering why we need a lower refresh time...I am building a prototype dashboard that tracks the current status of a select set of runways.  We want to get the status to be as near real time as possible.  The dataset it grabs is designed to be small so it only contains maybe 300 records.  For the record I also wish taleau could force a client end refresh.  One guy on here shared some code with me to wrap it in an iFrame and use javascript to do timed refreshes.  Works great but just adds another layer I wish Tableau had in it.

• 6. Re: Tableau Server Refresh Schedule
                    Russell Christopher

Given a choice, I like the embedding idea more than mine

Extracting to return only 300 rows seems like a bit of overkill unless I'm missing something. Does it take a long time for those 300 rows to come back, or something? Otherwise, I'd think using a live connection to the data source with the embed refresh (here's a no-JavaScript version of the same idea http://kb.tableausoftware.com/articles/knowledgebase/auto-refreshing-using-meta-refresh) and your cache turned off would be a better approach.

• 7. Re: Tableau Server Refresh Schedule
                      Bob Nims

Hi Russ,

Thank you for the alternate refresh tip.  Much appreciated.  I may

try to give that one a go and see what I like best.  The reason for the

data refreshes is more of a data size thing.  Our main system works behind

the scenes parsing thru a huge amount of data to come up with the

condensed table.  The lag time of having Tableau do it by itself was just

not quick enough for the amount of data it was dealing with.  Having our

system do it in the background and then allowing Tableau to consume the

small set of needed data has proven to be very snappy and the user is not

interrupted.  I am pretty new to the Tableau/dashboard world (less than a

year) and appreciate all the help I can get these days.

Sincerely,

Bob Nims

Russell Christopher <tableau@sgaur.hosted.jivesoftware.com>

To:

Bob Nims/ANM/FAA@FAA

Date:

02/02/2012 11:43 PM

Subject:

- Re: Tableau Server Refresh Schedule

Tableau Support Community

Re: Tableau Server Refresh Schedule

created by Russell Christopher in Forums - View the full discussion

Given a choice, I like the embedding idea more than mine

Extracting to return only 300 rows seems like a bit of overkill unless I'm

missing something. Does it take a long time for those 300 rows to come

back, or something? Otherwise, I'd think using a live connection to the

data source with the embed refresh (here's a no-JavaScript version of the

same idea

http://kb.tableausoftware.com/articles/knowledgebase/auto-refreshing-using-meta-refresh

) and your cache turned off would be a better approach.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on

Tableau Support Community

Start a new discussion in Forums by email or at Tableau Support Community