6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2012 6:21 AM by Per Strid

Dashboards

Per Strid

I have people in my organization who wants a dashboard with a lot of KPIs. That is no problem but the time scale is. Just dragging in a lot of measures on the rows and use time for the columns is pretty starightforward. Now they want MTD (Month To Date), LMTD (Last Month To Date), % Change, Month Last Year (Last Year Month To Date for the same month) and a Year over Year Change (%). Like this:

MTD            LMTD        %LM        Month Last Year        %YoY

$ Per Transaction                    50                48              105                    43                      107

# Transactions                    234 000        227 000        110                  220 000                110

Daily Average Sales

Daily Active Users

I can calculate MTD and stuff like that but see no way to build the tables the way I am asked to...

Suggestions?

Best regards

Per

• 1. Re: Dashboards
          guest contributor

I just trained my users to use a Quick Filter of Range of Dates  ("the date slider"  as it became known), and let them pick whatever stop and start dates they want. Sometimes it's better to let the Interactors self-serve, instead of trying to be all things to all people.

Anyway, without more detail around what you're being asked to produce, it's hard to give specific advice.

• 2. Re: Dashboards
            Per Strid

Thanks Ken

I am trying to do the same, but sometimes people want a layout they are used to from Excel or newspapers which is quiet often a table saying it all. So what they are asking for is a number of KPIs for a number of specific time periods in the same table and I find that hard to produce.

Best regards

Per

• 3. Re: Dashboards
              Shawn Wallwork

Per, have you considered just giving them what they want, namely an Excel spreadsheet? (See attached.) Since it is a URL call the spread sheet won't be packaged in the workbook, so there are issues you'll need to deal with there. But sounds like it might be easier to do the KPIs in Excel. Just a thought. By the way I didn't know you could call a spreadsheet using a URL until I just tried it. So I'm not sure what all the issue will be when you try to deploy a workbook to your end users.

--Shawn

• 4. Re: Dashboards
                Per Strid

Thanks Shawn this looks as a good approach.

I played around with Excel but didn't get the format or the address right. I saved the Excel as HTML and got an ugly looking sheet. Not at all like the one you show in your image.

What file format do you save in? How do you write the URL in the Tableau Container?

Best regards

Per

• 5. Re: Dashboards
                  Shawn Wallwork

Per, I just pointed it at the .xls file on my local machine:

D:\Shawn\MWC\Zipcodes\ZipSpreadSheet.xls

I think the reason it looks good is that an actual Excel spreadsheet is running in the URL window. I can edit it and do anything in the right-click menus, but I can't save it, which in your case is probably good. I can change sheets, also good for your case (although it might confuse some users having two sets of tabs). I'd be interested to know if there is a way to get it to display with full menus & toolbars. Anyone know?

A few things to consider. 1) Your end-users will probably have to have Excel installed on their machine, or it won't work. 2) The excel spread sheet is not packaged with the workbook, so if your distribution is through Reader then you'll have to work out some way for the user to set-up the path to the file. 3) I have no idea how(if) this will work in Server (we don't use Server).

Hope this helps. I'm curious to know how this turns out, and any problems you run into. Thanks,

--Shawn

• 6. Re: Dashboards
                    Per Strid

I tried that approach, just pointing to the file. Might be that we have security set on the network or something.

What I did was using Excels publishing tools. This way there is a lot of HTML generated that has to live somewhere...

This clip is great, but it doesn't look this way when I try to follow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EXZ969x5iY

Best regards

Per