4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2012 12:55 PM by Andy.Webb

Proxy Connection to entire database

I see that I can create a proxy connection to am MS SQL database if I define the join relationships.  What I really want to do is create a proxy connection to an MS SQL database that links to the entire database without defining the joins between the tables.  Then I would connect to that proxy via multiple workbooks and within the workbook be able to define the joins - which differ between workbooks.

My main goal is that if I move the database I don't have to go through every single data connection and change the information like I do now  .I would just have to do it once.  Is that possible with Tableau 7.0 Server?  I've experimented some, but haven't figured out how to do it assuming it is possible.

• 1. Re: Proxy Connection to entire database
          Russell Christopher

Hi Andy -

You're going to need your joins, sorry. Tableau 7's new Data Server features are awesome but aren't really going to buy you much in terms of what you're looking for.

The good news is that it's really easy to globally find/replace a value across all your data connections. Just search for a string (for example, I'm searching for "." (the local pipe) as my server name, and I find X connections that use it. I then select them all and edit them all at the same time. See attached screenshots - took me about 3 seconds.

• 2. Re: Proxy Connection to entire database

Thanks for the response.  Very helpful. 

I note that I cannot change the database name.  Suppose I want to, for instance, copy 10 workbooks and point them to a different database on the same server.  Is there any convenient way to do that?

• 3. Re: Proxy Connection to entire database
              Russell Christopher

Messing around with the connection string will be easy, but copying the workbooks will be your speed bump - as you've probably discovered, there isn't a fast way to copy on Server, only move. 

In your shoes, I would probably move to the command-line and use the TabCmd utility - You could do a TabCmd GET 10 times to pull down your 10 workbooks, a TabCmd PUBLISH to push them back to the server under a different name, and then fix up the connection strings...Not optimal, but it would get you there.

• 4. Re: Proxy Connection to entire database

Thanks for the response.  Very helpful.   I see how this works if I am using a direct connection to the database specified in the workbook.  But suppose I am using either a Tableau Server connection or an Tableau Server Extract?

For instance, let's say site 1 has all my data sources and I want to copy them to site 2 and point then point them to a different source data server or different logon and password.  Is there anyway to accomplish this without rebuilding everything from scratch?