3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2012 6:44 PM by Jonathan Drummey

Creating stacked tables with multiple dimensions as rows

Jeremy Perdue

If I use two dimensions in the row portion of the table, tableau places the second dimension as a subset of the first dimension. Is it possible to have multiple dimensions stacked on each other as rows in a single table?

• 1. Re: Creating stacked tables with multiple dimensions as rows
          guest contributor

Have you tried creating a calculated field that's the concatenation of the various dimensions you want on the Rows shelf?

• 2. Re: Creating stacked tables with multiple dimensions as rows
            Jeremy Perdue

Let me give some more detail:

I'm trying to organize data from a large table in Tableau Public. The table is in Excel and it has five columns: Phone Number, Date, Call Length, Abandon (Y/N), Handle (Y/N). I want to create a new summary table in Tableau that shows the weeks as column titles (Week1, Week 2, etc.), Abandons as a row with values [number of records], Handled calls as a row with values [number of records].

The problem I have is when I put Abandon (Y/N) as a row dimension and then Handle (Y/N) as a row dimension it shows the count like this:

................................................Week 1....Week 2....Week 3

Abandon Y.......-Handled Y.............1..............4.............2

..........................-Handled N.............0..............3.............1

Abandon N......-Handled Y.............3..............2.............1

..........................-Handled N.............2..............0.............0

But I want the table to appear stacked like this:

........................Week 1....Week 2....Week 3

Abandon Y............1..............7.............3

Handled Y.............4..............6.............3

How would I go about concatenating the dimensions to achieve this outcome?

thanks

• 3. Re: Creating stacked tables with multiple dimensions as rows
              Jonathan Drummey

There are two parts to this:

- Create a calculated field for each row in your table (Abandon Y and Handled Y) that returns the appropriate count for each

- Create a view where Measure Names is on the Rows shelf, Measure Values is on the Text shelf and the two calculated fields in the Measure Values shelf

See the attached for an example using the Coffee Chain sample database.