3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2012 12:58 PM by Richard Leeke

Highlighting points in multiple charts

Michael Zamalis

I think this is a simple question, but I just can't seem to work it out on my own.

I've got a chart in tableu with multiple rows or multiple columns; lets say it's 2 & 2.  I want to click on a single point and have that data point highlight in all other quadrants.

I tried making the highlight Action work, but no luck.

Any guidance?

Mike

• 1. Re: Highlighting points in multiple charts
          Richard Leeke

Can you post a simple mock-up showing the structure of your data?  It's a bit hard to answer without seeing how your data is structured.

• 2. Re: Highlighting points in multiple charts
            Michael Zamalis

Yeah, good point.  I wrote that yesterday and reading it back today, it's less than clear.

Below are some typical data sets that I would start into an analysis with.  The views show two different performance measures (rows) across a range of application (column).  There are two products which are distinguished by color.  The first image is all of the data.

In the second image, I have selected a single point in the "y axis 1" row.  Clearly, I know what the x axis value is in both (approx 24.25), but I do not know which point this is in "y axis 2".

What I want to have happen is when I select a singular point in one portion of the chart, I want it to highlight that item in the other portions of the chart.

-Mike

• 3. Re: Highlighting points in multiple charts
              Richard Leeke

You can do this with "Actions".  You want to define a "Highlight Action" which highlights the row(s) with the identifying fields of the selected row.  You may need to add one or more identifier fields to the Level of Detail shelf.

If you have trouble, post a sample packaged workbook showing how the data is structured.