6 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2015 4:34 PM by Ian Lin

Use quick filters on dashboards to trigger actions (or "make it easy to filter lots of sources")

Mike Hyde

Sorry to keep on about this, but it's the one thing that drives me slightly crazy when building dense business-reporting dashboards.

It would be awesome to be able to use a quick filter on a dashboard to trigger an action which could filter against other worksheets and data sources at the same time.

The current workarounds we are using are causing more problems as we get into deploying more extensive dashboards, especially on a server with auto updates, trying to make things robust for the future, e.g.:

- We are using parameters to switch between values for all worksheets on a single dashboard but the main problem here is that the parameter is static, so if a new value appears in the data in the future, it would not be in a drop-down from a parameter. Also requires filtering on dedicated calculated fields for all worksheets which carries a performance hit

- The idea of using a dedicated worksheet to act as a "selector" purely to drive an action does not work when you have too many values in the dimension (as it gets too big), and wastes valuable pixels. We just want to use a drop down selector to filter across multiple data sources.

(Tell me if I am missing a trick here?)

Again, sorry if I am going over old ground, but it really feels like this should be a core functionality, i.e. to easily build a dashboard with many worksheet from different data sources and switch them all the worksheets simultaneously along some common dimension. Some of the competitors (e.g. QlikView) do this by default as you start dropping different charts onto a single dashboard page. I'm not saying it should default to this behaviour, but it does seem to be quite a common use-case. Also, you can now get a similar effect with Excel 2010 using their new data slicers, so it is becoming more expected from end-users of reporting systems.

Anyway, keep up the good work, and let me know if I am missing something which is already there.

Rgds

Mike