2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2012 3:57 PM by Gareth Robins

How do I delete some data from an Extract?

Gareth Robins

I have a Tableau extract that I'm incrementally refreshing from an Access query, which in turn get's data from other db's going back a few years.  I've just updated the query to pull from the latest 2012 db, and tried to have Tableau incrementally refresh it's extract (I have an ID field that contains an incremental integer).

For some reason Tableau has only pulled through about 5% of the data.  How to I remove this 5% from the extract without having to start from the beggining and pull all the old data through again?

• 1. Re: How do I delete some data from an Extract?
          Richard Leeke

Unfortunately there's no way to do that.  I've seen various people asking - though usually for the ability to purge old data.

If you don't have a backup of your extract from before your failed refresh I'm afraid you'll have to start from scratch.

Do you have any idea why it only got some of the data?  If you think that looks like a Tableau issue then it might be worth talking to support.  You certainly don't want to have that happen very often.

• 2. Re: How do I delete some data from an Extract?
            Gareth Robins

Thanks Richard.  After a bit of digging I've found the problem was the VBA macro that fetched the data from SAP BW and fed it into Access.  I've now modified it to report if it retrieves less data than I asked for, then I can fix it before it enters Access and subsequently Tableau.  In this case I was able to retrieve the data that Tableau did have, so my extract is now intact.