8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2012 2:43 PM by Ben McEachen

Input parameter  doesn’t refresh views on the server but works on the Desktop

. Mar

Hello,

My view has 1 string type input parameter.  A calculated Filter references the parameter’s value to update views on the dashboard.

The parameter works on the Desktop – all views get updated. But this functionality fails on the server. Changing the Parameter’s value does not do anything.  A user must press  F5 in order to update views with a new value.

If I publish a PACKAGED workbook( twbx) the Input parameter works just fine on the server.

Please advice if there is a way to fix it. ( I want to publish live data, not a packaged wkb)

I attached my packaged workbook

Marina

• 1. Re: Input parameter  doesn’t refresh views on the server but works on the Desktop
          Dimitri.B

If hitting F5 does the trick, then this could have something to do with how the Server's cache is configured. Here is an excerpt from Tableau Server admin guide (page 12):

Views published to Tableau Server are interactive and often have a live connection to a database.

As users interact with the views in a web browser, the data that is queried gets stored in a cache.

Subsequent visits will pull the data from this cache if it is available.

To configure caching:

1. Select the Data Connections tab in the Tableau Server Configuration dialog box.

2. Select from one of the following options:

• Refresh Less Often - Data is cached and reused whenever it is available regardless of

when it was added to the cache. This option minimizes the number of queries sent to the

database. Select this option when data is not changing frequently. Refreshing less often

may improve performance.

• Balanced - Data is removed from the cache after a specified number of minutes. If the data

has been added to the cache within the specified time range the cached data will be used,

otherwise new data will be queried from the database.

• Refresh More Often - The database is queried each time the page is loaded. The data is

still cached and will be reused until the user reloads the page. This option will ensure users

see the most up to date data; however, it may decrease performance.

Note: Regardless of how caching is configured, the user can click the Refresh Data button on the

toolbar to force the server to send a query and retrieve new data.

I don't know if even at "Refresh More Often" setting changing a parameter will cause the page to reload and send a new query to the data source.

It would be a good idea to talk to Tableau Support about this.

• 2. Re: Input parameter  doesn’t refresh views on the server but works on the Desktop
            . Mar

Thanks Dimitiri,

I chhange the cash setting on the server , removed the extract and republished the workbook. This didin't fix the problem...Changing my Input paramter deosnt' updated veiws ( unless press F5). it must be something specific in my workbook.. I will contact Tableau support.

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Input parameter  doesn’t refresh views on the server but works on the Desktop
              Wim Van Looy

Any updates on this topic? I'm having the same problem.

I use a parameter as a sort of search function. Works perfect on tableau desktop but when used on tableau server, the data doesn't refresh.

Any solution available already?

Thanks

• 4. Re: Input parameter  doesn’t refresh views on the server but works on the Desktop
                . Mar

Unfortunately I have no solution.

I played with various things such as making the filter ( that references the parameter) global, adding it to a context, rewriting the calculated field,etc

I have another input parameter on this dashboard which  works just great, so something must be specific to this "faulty" parameter. Here is the calculated Filter field :

if [Select Place Of Service]="OP" and [Select Place Of Service]=[place_of_service] then "Outpatients"

elseif [Select Place Of Service]="IP" and [Select Place Of Service]=[place_of_service]then "Inpatients"

end

The other ( working) parameter is based on a  simple TRUE/False calculation Filter

Marina

• 5. Re: Input parameter  doesn’t refresh views on the server but works on the Desktop
                  Wim Van Looy

I've made a call with tableau support.. I hope a get an answer soon..
                  And I'll let you know if I have any updates..

My filter looks like this:

If  CONTAINS([CompanyName],[Search] ) or CONTAINS([Country],[Search] )  or CONTAINS([MasterCompanyName],[Search] )  then "show" else "hide" end

I'll will give it a try with a boolean filter as well..

Thanks for your information!

• 6. Re: Input parameter  doesn’t refresh views on the server but works on the Desktop
                    . Mar

I upgraded to v7 ( desktop and Server) --- and my parameter stopped working even on the desktop...

I slightly changed the calculation to be:

if [Select Place Of Service]="OP" and [place_of_service]="OP" then "Outpatients"

elseif  [Select Place Of Service]="IP" and [place_of_service] ="IP" then "Inpatients"

end

This fixed it on the desktop.. I published it to the server and it works now! .

This is a mystery....

• 7. Re: Input parameter  doesn’t refresh views on the server but works on the Desktop
                      Wim Van Looy

What solved my problem: place the parameter field on the 'level of details' shelf.  Now the dashboard always updates.

No logic but it works :-).

Many thanks to Janet & the rest of tableau team.

• 8. Re: Input parameter  doesn’t refresh views on the server but works on the Desktop
                        Ben McEachen

Wow!  I have been frustrated with this issue for months... It looks like Wim's suggestion is doing the trick.

Wim Van Looy wrote:

What solved my problem: place the parameter field on the 'level of details' shelf.  Now the dashboard always updates.

No logic but it works :-).

Many thanks to Janet & the rest of tableau team.

A million thanks!