1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 16, 2012 7:01 PM by Jonathan Drummey

Displaying NVP of attributes

Lennaert van den Brink

I am trying to make a visualisation of the Lahman's Baseball Archive (http://baseball1.com/statistics/). A very simple thing I want to include into my visualisation is a table for a specific player, stating his name, date of birth, height, weight, etc...

Heigth and weight are easy, they are measures, so I can just drag [Measure Names] onto a shelf and filter for the right values. However, no matter what I try, I seem to be able to do a similiar thing for the "dimensions" like date of birth.

Is there any way this can be done?

For the record, the end result should look like this:

|name  | Player, A    |

|birthd  | 10-11-2012  |

|height | 180              |

|weight | 72                |

-----------------------------

• 1. Re: Displaying NVP of attributes
          Jonathan Drummey

Measure Values only supports (continuous) numeric values, and text values are always discrete dimensions that create headers, so mixing them in one tabular layout like you want can get messy. You can go at this in a couple of different ways, shown in the attached workbook. The first uses a string built of the necessary information, which is put into a view that is filtered for one player using a filter action. The second uses a set of calculated strings that create headers, and the view is set up to only show the headers. In both cases, layout is determined with spaces, so you might be better off using a monospace font to get the text to align properly.

Post when you've got the viz created, I'll be interested to see what you do with the data!

Jonathan