1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 11, 2011 6:11 PM by Dimitri.B

File structure for calculating week by week change

I am currently structuring an Excel file to read into Tableau based on text week by week reports for the past five years.

My goal is to present week by week numbers and percent change on up to 20 different categories within Tableau.

Is it better to structure the file so that all data that is read into Tableau is contained in one worksheet (I would create a worksheet for each week and aggregate it into the one master worksheet wherein all years and weeks are present to read into Tableau) or to create seperate workbooks for each year, and link the yearly aggregated worksheet in Tableau based on week number.

While the past data will not change, I need to be able to input new data each week with minimal cleaning on my end, so am trying to figure out which structure will make this process of weekly updating more seemless.

Thanks for any thoughts!

• 1. Re: File structure for calculating week by week change
          Dimitri.B

My advice would be to have all raw data in one sheet (if possible), feed it to Tableau, create extract if necessary, and do as much number crunching as possible inside Tableau.

Tableau has built in mechanisms for rolling up dates and times into weeks and calculating differences etc. If your raw data has dates, numbers and dimensions that you need, Tableau can do the rest, there is probably no need to aggregate or summarise anything in Excel (unless your data is too large to fit into one Excel sheet).