4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2011 2:58 PM by Francois Ajenstat

High Availablity Testing in Beta 7 Giving an error of PostGres connection refused

Leo Great

Hi,

Today I tested the Tableau Version 7 Beta 7 and working good.

I learned both primary IP and worker IP are serving as access point for the Server. So when Primary fails, still the worker can service the request.

But while making the Primary unavailable, it cannot connect to the Postgres saying connection is refused.

So Do In need to open port for Postgres between the Primary and worker! So the Postgres is not replicating between the Servers? Please clarify the point.

• 1. Re: High Availablity Testing in Beta 7 Giving an error of PostGres connection refused
          Justyn Attwool

I've had this problem just removing Tableau 7 beta 7 server , in prep to upgrade it to Beta 8.. It's the local address.

2011-12-01 22:42:37,581_FATAL_192.168.135.241:zenpmrep01_:_pid=4056_0x975276__user=__request=__ The driver encountered an unknown error: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Connection refused. Check that the hostname and port are correct and that the postmaster is accepting TCP/IP connections.

2011-12-01 22:42:37,582_DEBUG_192.168.135.241:zenpmrep01_:_pid=4056_0x975276__user=__request=__ RuntimeError: The driver encountered an unknown error: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Connection refused. Check that the hostname and port are correct and that the postmaster is accepting TCP/IP connections.

file:C:/Program Files (x86)/Tableau/Tableau Server/7.0/bin/tabadmin.jar!/gems/activerecord-jdbc-adapter-1.1.1/lib/arjdbc/jdbc/connection.rb:93:in `initialize'

• 2. Re: High Availablity Testing in Beta 7 Giving an error of PostGres connection refused
            Chris Cushman

I am also unable to upgrade to v8 from 7. Install freezes for about 20 mins towards the end on "Initializing Tableau Server" with an error message that Tableau could not start the Tableau server, please check if your service is running... Then I get the following error when trying to log in:

Internal Error

Request ID: Tt1tEcCoCgYAAAQkQyQAAABJ

The driver encountered an unknown error: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Connection refused. Check that the hostname and port are correct and that the postmaster is accepting TCP/IP connections.

PMOI360 version: Version 7.0.0 Beta

(Build 7000.11.1129.2030)

• 3. Re: High Availablity Testing in Beta 7 Giving an error of PostGres connection refused
              Justyn Attwool

I deinstalled the 'psqlODBC'  component from 'Software Components'

It gets installed again during the installation.

• 4. Re: High Availablity Testing in Beta 7 Giving an error of PostGres connection refused
                Francois Ajenstat

Hi everyone - thanks for reporting these issues. We found out that there was a bug in certain situations when customers did an upgrade from a previous beta to the most recent betas. There were some configurations that were removed that made the server fail.

The fix is manual, and fairly easy.

1. Stop the server.

2. Remove "pgsql.host" and "dataengine.host" lines from tabsvc.yml.

3. Run tabconfig.exe ("Configure Tableau Server").

4. Hit "OK", don't need to change anything.

5. Start the server, it should work now.

This is a leftover of a problem we had around beta v3, so for the customers who never installed it there should be no such issues.

Let us know if you encounter any other issues.