7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2011 10:59 AM by Robert Morton

Joins-no data

I have, I think, successfully joined two excel files.  However, I can't seem to pull data.  For example, I am trying to pull in Gross Profit.  I have attached a screen shot.

• 1. Re: Joins-no data
          Robert Morton

Hi Allyson,

I'm sorry you're having trouble defining a multi-table join. Unfortunately I'm not able to give much guidance with the limited information you have provided. First, can you explain how you joined two separate Excel files? Or did you join two worksheets within a single Excel workbook file? Next, can you describe how the data sets relate to one another, i.e. which fields in one data set should be paired with fields from the other data set(s)?

If possible, please post an example Excel workbook which reproduces the problem you are experiencing.

Thanks,

Robert

• 2. Re: Joins-no data

Hi Robert,

I am attempting to join two separate excel files.  One containing the actual data (Gross Margin Analysis Test) and one is my hierarchy (Hierarchy Test).  I would like to be able drill up and down on gross margin using the hierarchy.  How the data sets relate gets a little tricky.  The only common field is Branch.  I need, somehow, to create joins using: Branch, Region, Division and Totcan to allow for drilling up and down.

Thanks,

Allyson

• 3. Re: Joins-no data
              Robert Morton

Hi Allyson,

When you describe joining the two data sets, are you using Tableau's Data Blending feature? If so, you'll want to have your 'hierarchy' data as the Primary data source, since it defines the drill up/down fields. The second issue I notice is that the field 'Branch ' in the actual data set (Gross Margin Analysis Test) has a trailing space character, and this is preventing it from linking with the field 'Branch' in the primary.

Does this help?

-Robert

• 4. Re: Joins-no data

Hi Robert

I am actually using the join feature since I do not have multiple (different) data sources.  Would blending work better?  I think my problem is I need to be able to create a relationship between branch/region, branch/division and branch/totcan since my dataset is by branch.  We need to be able to drill up to division and down to branch level.  When I try to create custom relationships with branch, the "join" gets replaced.  Is it possible to have multiple relationships with one field?

Allyson

• 5. Re: Joins-no data
                  Robert Morton

Hi Allyson,

I wasn't certain how you used joins since the data sets you provided weren't in a single Excel file. You should be able to define a single join criteria on [hierarchy].[Branch] = [gross marging analysis].[Branch]. You can then visualize coarse-grained summaries at the level of region, division or totcan.

Does this help?

-Robert

• 6. Re: Joins-no data

Do you have an example of joins with two separate excel files?  I only see, in your manual, examples with joining worksheets within the file itself.

Allyson

• 7. Re: Joins-no data
                      Robert Morton

Hi Allyson,

You can use Data Blending to bring together data from two separate Excel files. This feature is not a part of the connection dialog itself. You should be able to find more information on Data Blending in the manuals and our Knowledge Base.

-Robert