13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2011 3:19 PM by Dan Cory

Linking fields do not have to be in the view

Rob C

Tableau requires that a linking field be in the view in order for the link to be enabled. I would like linked fields to be enabled (so that I can filter on that field) without it being part of the view.

• 1. Re: Linking fields do not have to be in the view
          Dan Cory

Thanks for your suggestion!

If you just do not want it visible in the view, you can put it on the Level of Detail shelf.

I understand that isn't sufficient in many cases, though.

• 2. Re: Linking fields do not have to be in the view

I join the request. I actually thought I was doing something wrong since I couldn't get the two data sources to blend without having the linking field on the view. Are there any plans to make this feature available in future versions?

• 3. Re: Linking fields do not have to be in the view

I join the request. This is a feature which would definitely make my work much easier. Can you please let us know if you are going to make this feature available anytime soon?

• 4. Re: Linking fields do not have to be in the view
                Rick Watson

Why not just put it on the row shelf and don't show the header for that field?

• 5. Re: Linking fields do not have to be in the view
                  Jon Mitten

Also request this. It sees like a pretty common desire for reports, considering most reporters would not want to expose their report consumers to banal information such as unique IDs. Lacking this feature makes views needlessly cluttered and noisy.

• 6. Re: Linking fields do not have to be in the view
                    Ryan K

I completely agree. I have run into this issue multiple times. Sometimes I just have to deal with it and sometimes it requires me to pre-process the data or do a join in SQL prior to Tableau. All in all, a pain! This would be a wonderful feature.

• 7. Re: Linking fields do not have to be in the view

I am planning to test the Beta version 7.0 soon and I am hoping that this feature is included there. If not, I am afraid there won´t be enough time to still do so before the go-live in Jan 2012. 

• 8. Re: Linking fields do not have to be in the view
                        Dan Cory

Wow - apparently this is a popular topic! Can I have specific examples of why putting the linking field on the level of detail shelf doesn't work? I know of some, but hearing from all of you would help us plan future features in this area. Thanks! Dan

• 9. Re: Linking fields do not have to be in the view
                          guest contributor

Yes, here's an example:

I have two tables:  Reservations [reservation ID, hotel ID, revenue, ...] and Hotels [hotel ID, city name, ...]

I want to cross city and revenue, so each row in the pivot should be a city, and I want to have the revenue for that city. The linking field is hotel ID, which I don't want in the view at all.

• 10. Re: Linking fields do not have to be in the view
                            Jon Mitten

My feeling is, once a join has been made, or a relationship has been established between datasources, my job as workbook designer should be complete, as far as data associations are concerned. Since my views and dashboards are already likely to get highly complex, it is pretty inconvenient to (first of all figure out I need to put unique identifiers in the Level Of Detail shelf, which conceptually doesn't make any sense, or) have to muck about with pills that are all named some_id or another_id. And, frankly, having the unique_id in the level of detail makes for too much detail. When I mouse over a bar-graph where I've grouped unique_ids based on a grouping level, I'd rather have the whole bar display the whole sum, and not that fraction of the graph where my mouse is. It might not be a big deal for a few dozen unique_ids but I'm dealing with thousands, tens of thousands, and hundreds of thousands of unique identifiers.

• 11. Re: Linking fields do not have to be in the view
                              Ryan K

Jon - YES! I have had that experience too and I completely agree with you! Thanks for posting that - it slipped my mind in my earlier post.

• 12. Re: Linking fields do not have to be in the view
                                Jon Mitten

Additionally, I'm discovering a nagging inconvenience that is rather confusing. In our data structure, we get weblog details parsed into a data table, and some identifiers will have different names than appear in the other data source I want to establish a relationship to. For instance, I have a content_release_id in the weblog, which can refer to multiple release ids in my other datasource, depending on the content type. For example, the content_release_id (which is a unique ID) needs to join to, say, the xxxx_release table, where the release_id for that table is called xxxx_release_id, but for yyyy_releases, on another table, it'd join on the yyyy_release_id. Does that mean I need to have both the content_release_id AND the xxxx_id in the Level of Detail shelf? and for other content types, must I also bring in those xxxx_release_id, yyyy_release_id, and zzzz_release_id to the Level of Detail shelf?  Now what if I need to filter on the content type? And I DEFINITELY can't have xxxx, yyyy, and zzzz release_ids in the view itself, since I'm using these to get the titles of the releases - the _release_ids are for internal use only.

Now, I'm not sure if our customers would see the Level of Detail shelf, because I haven't created any user filters for this purpose yet. If I set up a user filter that obfuscates the level of detail, does that break my view?

Ideally, I don't want to have to care about these complications.

• 13. Re: Linking fields do not have to be in the view
                                  Dan Cory

Thanks. These specific examples really help when we plan features for future versions. Keep it coming!