5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2011 11:11 AM by Lea Sp

One filter to work on dashboard containing multiple datasources

. ChristD

I have two datasources with an worksheet for each of these and a dashboard combining the two views. There are three fields that can be linked between the two datasources and I have used one these three (material code) as a filter in both worksheets.

I would like to include the following action: select a value of the filter in one sheet and it will automatically update both workbooks in the dashboard although they have a different datasource.

I have not been able to get this working. What I can do is to select value in the first filter and then I have to click on the updated view to get the second worksheet updated.

Can somebody help me here please?

Thanks,

Chris

• 1. Re: One filter to work on dashboard containing multiple datasources
          Joe Mako

You can make a sheet for use as a filter, and setup a filter action that filters multiple views across different data sources.

The other option is a parameter with filtering on a calculated field that checks if the data is equal to the parameter value.

• 2. Re: One filter to work on dashboard containing multiple datasources
            . ChristD

Hi Joe,

I have set up one sheet for use as a filter on the dashboard for the second sheet, but I couldn't get the action filter to work across different data sources so only the first sheet is updated automatically. I have set up the action filter to hover or select items in the first sheet and it then updates the second one.

Obviously I am missing something; can you maybe point me to a part of a video or instructions which show me how to get this working? From the video's I have reviewed, I have not been able to find the solution.

Thanks for your help,

Chris

• 3. Re: One filter to work on dashboard containing multiple datasources
              Joe Mako

Attached is an example of the method I was referring to.

From the Dashboard, if you edit the Action, you can see that I used the Selected Fields option, and set the Target Data Source, once for each target data source.

• 4. Re: One filter to work on dashboard containing multiple datasources
                . ChristD

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your quick response. Now I understand how this works: setting up an extra sheet as a filter for the other two.

Great work,

Regards,

Chris

• 5. Re: One filter to work on dashboard containing multiple datasources
                  Lea Sp

I'm interested in this solution as well; unfortunately as I'm not on the latest version I can't look into the workbook.  What I'm looking to do is use a date range as a filter for a single dashboard that pulls in multiple Excel data sources. I would prefer if it were not visible on the dashboard, but I understand that you have to pull in the sheet as the source to filter the other modules.  What I'm looking for is the ability to use this sheet filter as a customizeable date filter, just as the regular date filter functions, but I can't seem to make it work.

I've looked through the knowledge base for using a source sheet as a filter, and all I see is to bring the dates in as a dimension, which defaults to Month, and selecting individual months. But I just want to select a custom date range like the last 3 complete months (not through the prior day) and have all of the modules on the dashboard reflect it  (and the filter doesn't have to be displayed on the dashboard)  Am I over-complicating this, or is there a much simpler technique that I'm missing?

Thanks!