10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2011 7:08 AM by guest contributor

excell csv or txt files wont upload

James Hancock

So why is this ? I've used UTF 8, comma seperated values, even different of excell sheets, according to version but everytime I get

Tableau Data Engine Error: 8: socket closed

- TDE_Socket::Recv(socket::recv len=8)

Unable to create extract

This is pretty annoying, I can't upload anything , even coopying and pasting data does not work, same error !

• 1. Re: excell csv or txt files wont upload
          James Hancock

Ok well at first glance this looked like a great visualisation tool but there are several formats of csv, txt, access and excell files that Ive tried "all day" to get working.

If I cant get the free version working in a day and not get any answers as to why.... then I'm not going to be paying $1000.00

• 2. Re: excell csv or txt files wont upload
            Andy Cotgreave

Hi James

This is odd behaviour and obviously very frustrating. Can you share one of your data files? Before you dismiss Tableau, consider the fact that 100s, 1000s even, of people connect to CSV/XLS/TXT every day without the problem. Tableau is *designed* to connect to these files, so maybe it's something wrong elsewhere on your system.

Are you connecting to the file and creating visualisations? Is the problem only when you come to creating an extract?

Andy

Follow me on twitter.

Read my Tableau blog at thedatastudio.co.uk

• 3. Re: excell csv or txt files wont upload
              James Hancock

I'm trying to upload the file to the server, I have two successful uploads, the third is 230,000 lines, I know the limit is 100,000 so through the interface I choose just a few years of data which is 10,000 lines. I've tried all sorts of delimiters, even cutting and pasting and still get the same error message.

Is there likely to be a conflict with Tableau Public if I'm also on a evaluation ( trial) of Desktop ?

I've attached my data, and I apologise if I sounded irate in my initial post

• 4. Re: excell csv or txt files wont upload
                Matt York

James, your attachments got left behind. The process for attachments is a little weird: you have to choose the file through the file browser, close it, then hit the attach button below the "choose file" button.

Is the error message you wrote in the first post the only error message you've seen? Which step in the upload process were you at when you received the error message?

• 6. Re: excell csv or txt files wont upload
                  guest contributor

No problems uploading it from "another" computer however, ( 32 bit OS this time) same network.

I'd like to know what the page says " If this is your first time connecting read this"

The page generates a 404.

interesting. For your info I tried this with Mozilla, Firefox Nightly, Google Chrome ( not IE)

The only difference ( perhaps apart from something I dont know about) is the 2nd computer runs a 32 bit os, win 7 

• 7. Re: excell csv or txt files wont upload
                    Matt York

Curious. If you see this problem again, let us know the details. e.g. At what exact step in the upload process did you see the error message? What's the exact text of the error message? etc.

Cheers!

Matt

• 8. Re: excell csv or txt files wont upload
                      James Hancock

The error message appears every time I try to CONNECT TO DATA to tableau public, after choosing the type of file tableau creates an extract. As soon as I try to modify a table that exists on tableau I get

Tableau Data Engine Error: 8: socket closed

- TDE_Socket::Recv(socket::recv len=8)

Unable to create extract

Luckily I have 2 computers, 1 is about 10 years old and runs on Vista, sadly this is the one that can upload. Both computers can download data without error. The only difference is my computer( the one that cant upload or create extracts for tableau) is 64 bit, Win 7.

• 9. Re: excell csv or txt files wont upload
                        James Hancock

Tableau Data Engine Error: 7: protocol error: bad magic number(expected=6eab17a actual=0)

Throws this error all the time on 64 bit, but if I click - reconnect to sheet, it seems to carry on

Guys is there a 32 bit version I can try, Is there somewhere I can download a 32 bit only version . ?

Also what did the page say at "if this is your first time connecting read this"

• 10. Re: excell csv or txt files wont upload
                          guest contributor

We have just downloaded the free version to try out - and cannot even get a data source open?!  Keep getting the following error after about 2 minutes of waiting (Win7 64-bit Pro machine).  Thought it was as the xlsx file was on our server at first but tried to link to it from local Desktop and still occurs.

Please help. Want to get started as we think we have some great ideas for use of our data here.

Tableau Data Engine Error: 8: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

- TDE_Socket::Connect(socket::connect::connect host="127.0.0.1", port=61531)

Unable to create extract