4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2011 7:42 PM by Sam Kenny

Using parameters to initialize and control a chart

Sam Kenny

Apologies in advance if this is described in the documentation but I cannot figure it out.  I have a line graph for 4 distinct items over time - let's say the X axis is days, Y axis contains HP, DELL, ASUS, GATEWAY and I am plotting sales figures.

I want to initialize my graph so that only one line is displayed, say sales for DELL - but for this be parameterized.  How do I pass the parameter in dynamically and update the graph so that the sales figures for DELL are displayed at the outset for user A, but for user B it is HP?  Ideally I'd like to do this using the URL.

Secondly, I want the user to be able to select any combination of the 4 items - much like I can in the desktop itself using the Filter radio buttons.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Using parameters to initialize and control a chart
          James Baker

You can pass in parameter and quickfilter values on the URL as you are hoping, like so: workbookname/viewname?yourdimension=DELL

If you're looking to pass in users as URL variables too, that's fine.  But if you want Tableau Server to show different filter values to people based on who's logged in, check out the User Filters feature.

I'm not sure what your "secondly" is asking - why can't your server users click the same checkboxes you're clicking in a quickfilter?  (You are talking about Server, right?)

• 2. Re: Using parameters to initialize and control a chart
            Sam Kenny

Thanks James.  The first part worked a charm - I can pass a dimension to the URL and therefore different users can see a different graph when they start up (because the calling app will manage the URL).

For the second part, yes, I want to reproduce the list of checkboxes I can see in the Quickfilter in the desktop on the server.  So the user can start with one graph for DELL but add HP and/or ASUS.  In reality I have a list of ~50 items and the user should be able to select any combination (even all 50 if he/she wants). 

I did produce the chart with all 50 items and with the URL display one graph by default.  But using the filter option to then select additional/remove dimensions is clunky and I need to revert the graph often, which displays all 50.  Ideally I want the multiple checkbox list that I see in the Quick Filter in Desktop.

Thanks,

Sam

• 3. Re: Using parameters to initialize and control a chart
              James Baker

Well, so my question is, why don't your server users see your quickfilter?  Have you turned the "Filter" permission off for your Server users?  (This is the only common reason why a quickfilter would disappear upon publishing.)

• 4. Re: Using parameters to initialize and control a chart
                Sam Kenny

I did a variety of things (published the data source; restarted the server; toggled the quick filters off/on) and now it appears.  Thanks very much for your help.