1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2015 2:16 PM by joan.hauff

Copy a worksheet from one workbook to another

Teresa Obis

It would be nice if we can copy a worksheet from one workbook to another.

I know that exist BookMarks but I can not find the utility of it. They look more complex. If I can copy and paste calculation variables, formats and so on and you can duplicate a worksheet, even a dashboard, inside a workbook,

why we can not copy a worksheet from one workbook to another.

Thany you

• 1. Re: Copy a worksheet from one workbook to another
          Richard Leeke

That is exactly what you can do with bookmarks, they are very useful and work well.

In your source workbook select create bookmark to save a bookmark for the current sheet.

In the target workbook, use File->Open to open the bookmark.  That will copy in the sheet and the datasource - with various options for handling the case where the same datasource name already exists in the target workbook.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Copy a worksheet from one workbook to another
            Teresa Obis

But it doesn't work as easy as I need.

For example. Now I have two workbooks opens. If I would like to copy one worksheet I do Bookmark; Create Bookmark.

Then I go to the other worksheet, but the created bookmark isn't avalaible. If I create a new bookmark from this second workbook, then the two bookmarks appear.

So, there is a bug in the Create bookmark that makes it difficult to use. Have you notice this?

Teresa

• 3. Re: Copy a worksheet from one workbook to another
              Richard Leeke

Huh, I'd never noticed that (but then I don't use bookmarks very often), but I do see what you mean.

What I found was that if I have 2 workbooks open, create a bookmark in one and then try to open it (File->Open) from the other workbook, as you say, it does not show up,  It does show if you try to open it from the first workbook though.

The initial setting for the File-Open window claims to be showing all types of tableau files.  If you change that to just bookmarks it does show it, however.

Also, if you don't open the 2nd workbook till after creating the bookmark it shows up fine.  It's as if Tableau has cached the directory listing (but that makes no sense - I didn't create it n a default location).  Maybe it only shows files created before the workbook was opened.

• 4. Re: Copy a worksheet from one workbook to another
                Teresa Obis

Thanks, until I discover it, I was thinking my computer or my head doesn't work well.

I am decide to repeat the worksheet. I have problems copying variables wich I have rename, aliases codes o make sort properties. Some times, if you rename the set name or rename a variable then actions stop to work. I think someone has to take a look into these small but annoying bugs.

• 5. Re: Copy a worksheet from one workbook to another
                  Andy Cotgreave

I've stumbled across this problem many times. The Bookmark menu does not always refresh until Tableau is restarted. It's annoying. I cope with this by closing and reopening Tableau. Doesn't take too long but it shouldn't need to be that way.

Andy

• 6. Re: Copy a worksheet from one workbook to another
                    Richard Leeke

Just selecting a file type of .twb in the file open screen saves you having to re-open the workbook, though, so that's even less hassle.

• 7. Re: Copy a worksheet from one workbook to another
                      Teresa Obis

"Just selecting a file type of .twb in the file open screen saves you having to re-open the workbook, though, so that's even less hassle."

yes, we can do this. But when you introduce a new worksheet in the original file, then for the copy (that I have already change) I have to repeat it.

Other problem of bookmarks is that you get the data conection with it.

Why Tableau can copy a worksheet or a dashboard as it copies a varaible calculation from a workbook to another. If there are some discondances with the data they could stay with an ! until you arrenge it.

In the forum, I think I have read this issue several times.

Another improve will be if you say to Tableau to copy a dashboard it would be great if Tableau ask you if you would like to copy only dashboard or to copy all the sheet included in the dashboard. Now I am desinging a report with a lot of similar dashboards, each one with diferent row variable, but with several worksheets (one for moth trend, another to compute Year over Year growht, YTD growht, ...)***. Every time I have to dupiclate every worksheet, then change them, then duplicate dashboard and them put all the new duplicated woorksheets in the new duplicated dashboard.

What do you think about this new request?  It could be possible Tableau people consider it to introduce in new Tableau's version

*** It is like a puzzle because Tableau has not a "Row dimension" or "Column dimension" where I can put several variables as we do in "Measures variables". See my posts:

- Create a table with two o more dimension variables CONCATENATED (not Nexted); and

- YOY, MAT and YTD in the same worksheet (here Joe Mako tell me that I must create a data table x times, where x is the number of tables I would like to put together. It is easy with a Join but what happend with performance if your original data conection is big).

Again is it possible that Tableau's people consider these improvement?

Thanks,

Teresa

• 8. Re: Copy a worksheet from one workbook to another
                        Andy Cotgreave

HI Theresa

I can't see how a bookmark couldn't have the connection come along with it - that's fundamental to the contents of the view. without a connection, there's no pills, table calcs, formatting, etc.

However I do agree with the sentiment - it should be easier to copy/move worksheets and dashboards between workbooks.

Andy

• 9. Re: Copy a worksheet from one workbook to another
                          Teresa Obis

Hi Andy,

The Bookmark can go without the data conection because the workbook where you are copying the worksheet/dashboard has his own data conection. It will be at your own that variables, formatting, ... used in the copied worksheet will be in the new workbook.

Something similar is happennig now when you copy and paste a calculated variable or a group variable. If it does exist some of the references Tableau put a "!" inside a triangle and you have to solve it.

Teresa

• 10. Re: Copy a worksheet from one workbook to another
                            Ryan K

I agree that this functionality should be built into Tableau at some point. Already the tabbed interface reminds me of Excel, and this feature is one that is so criticial to my workflow. For example, when I first started using the product I created one workbook. Not wanting to reconfigure the data sources and custom calcs I just kept adding sheets. Now this workbook is pushing 75 sheets and I'd like to be able to easily separate the sheets into their own workbooks. Now, granted, I could duplicate the file, use bookmarks, etc but that is cumbersome.

I'd love to see this feature added in a future release. Hopefully in the near future!

• 11. Re: Copy a worksheet from one workbook to another
                              Tim Latendress

Bookmarks are still an issue in 7.0.1.  I tried explaining how it works to a new Tableau user and was met with complete disbelief. I would love a "Refresh Bookmarks" option. Seems simple enough.

• 12. Re: Copy a worksheet from one workbook to another
                                Shawn Wallwork

Tim, I hear your pain. Or I 'feel ya!' (And it should be simple.)

Either way, this really must improve.

--Part

• 13. Re: Copy a worksheet from one workbook to another
                                  Tim Latendress

Thanks, Part. The other problem this user had was changing his repository in each workbook. Bookmarks everywhere! What I thought would take 5 minutes turned into 30 -- and he still came back in the afternoon and said, "How do you do that again?"

BTW, love the name change.

Tim

• 14. Re: Copy a worksheet from one workbook to another
                                    David Andrade

I skimmed over all the responses and it still seems there's no easy way to bookmark a dashboard in one workbook, then open in a new or existing workbook that same dashboard... right?

The only solution at the dashboard level is to bookmark each and every sheet used to create that dashboard, open them all in the new workbook, then piece by piece reassemble the dashboard as it looks and functions in the original workbook.

1 2 Previous Next