8 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2011 6:36 AM by Gabriel Lopes

Problem with Custom Geocode import

Gabriel Lopes

Hi!

I´m having some trouble with the file below. Already triyed all sort of things from similar posts but nothing.

Hope someone can help me.

Thanks!

Gabriel

• 1. Re: Problem with Custom Geocode import
          Gabriel Lopes

I´v forgot to post the error:

The file IBGE_TESTE.csv could not be used because it is missing the following columns: Latitude,Longitude.  Column names are case sensitive and must match exactly.

Firebird database error 335544351: unsuccessful metadata update

-Name longer than database column size

Thanks Again!

Gabriel

• 2. Re: Problem with Custom Geocode import
            Alex Kerin

I wonder if it could be anything to do with the odd "a" character that isn't rendered at least in my browser. Attached...

• 3. Re: Problem with Custom Geocode import
              Gabriel Lopes

Hi Alex! Unfortunately no, same error:

The file IBGE_TESTE_2.csv could not be used because it is missing the following columns: Latitude,Longitude.  Column names are case sensitive and must match exactly.

File below.

Thanks again!

• 4. Re: Problem with Custom Geocode import
                Alex Kerin

Hmm, I got different errors - what version of Tableau are you using? My error revolved around a lack of unique column (I added an ID column, attached), then a weird CSV error that was solved by resaving. It imported successfully, with 185 lines ignored (for whatever reason).

• 5. Re: Problem with Custom Geocode import
                  Gabriel Lopes

I´m using the version 6.0 ( 6000.11.0131.2100 ). I got the same error with this file ibge_teste_2_2.csv.

The file ibge_teste_2_2.csv could not be used because it is missing the following columns: Latitude,Longitude.  Column names are case sensitive and must match exactly.

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Problem with Custom Geocode import
                    Nopparit Intharasombat

Gabriel,

I can successful the CSV file you provided with the text file data source.  I think when you load the file with the same name to the forum, it overrides itself.  Anyway, the CSV does have Latitude and Longitude attached in the file (I am using the same version).  Also you data has some invalid LAT/LONG (2 points: on Pingo-dagua, Brazil,MG and Olhos-dagua, Brazil, MG).  When I say invalid, I mean the LAT or LONG falls outside [-180,180] range.

• 8. Re: Problem with Custom Geocode import
                      Gabriel Lopes

Thanks for the help! I´v already set the correct coordinates for Pingo-dagua, Brazil,MG and Olhos-dagua, Brazil, MG and succceeded to import the file.

I´ll post below the feedback from tableau-support who helped me at this for future references:

Thank you for contacting Tableau User Support. There are two attachments to this email for reference:

1. A workbook listing the repeating cities in the CSV file.

2. The schema.ini file.

Please follow the steps below to resolve the issue:

1. Open the CSV file and change the column names into a hierarchy. (Country > State > State Abbreviation > City > Latitude > Longitude).

2. Create a schema.ini file and save it in the same folder where the CSV file is located (please refer to the link below, however, I have attached a schema file that should work for your data).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms709353%28VS.85%29.aspx

3. Delete all repeating city names from the CSV file IBGE_TESTE_2. This file cannot have any repeating city names because there has to be an unique ID in order for it to import successfully.

4. After connecting to the desired data source in Tableau Desktop, import the schema.ini file by clicking on the toolbar click on Data > Geocoding > Import Custom Geocoding... and select the directory where the schema file is located.

7.After a successful import, change the default location to Brazil. Data > Geocoding > Set Default Location > type 'Brazil' into the text field.

8. In the dimension shelf, right click on the City (Name) dimension > Geographic Role > select City (Name).

In addition, the advanced training video 'Mapping' is a great resource (especially between 19:00 and 25:00 minutes).

Direct link:

http://www.tableausoftware.com/learn/tutorials/on-demand/advanced-training-mapping