1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2011 1:07 PM by Francois Ajenstat

SQL Azure connection

I see that Tableau will connect to the Azure datamart, but I don't see any mention of Tableau connecting to an SQL Azure instance.  Does this work?  I ask because we have found that Crystal Reports will not work with SQL Azure so there are some difference MS SQL.

• 1. Re: SQL Azure connection
          Robert Morton

Hi Andy,

Tableau does not offer native support for SQL Azure, though some folks have varying success using our SQL Server connector and using Custom SQL to define which schema/table to connect to. The custom SQL connection seems to be required because SQL Azure does not support the normal SQL Server approach to enumerating schemas and tables which are available on the SQL Azure instance.

-Robert

• 2. Re: SQL Azure connection
            thierryjakircevic

Hi Robert,

We will be trial testing both Qlikview and Tableau in our organization from next month and not being able to connect to SQL Azure will probably be a deal breaker as we are pushing more and more of our data to Azure.

Any plans for adding such compatibility in a future release?

Thierry

• 3. Re: SQL Azure connection
              Francois Ajenstat

Hi Thierry - you can actually connect to SQL Azure using the ODBC driver. Make sure to use SQLAzure as the DSN. This will enable you to query the SQL Azure instance directly from Tableau.

I've also managed to use the SQL Server native driver to connect although I need to use a custom SQL statement for it to work. (and it does issue a few errors in the connection dialog).

However you connect to the back-end you can always query the database live or create an extract in Tableau's fast data engine. Note that QlikView always requires you to extract the data. And I'm not sure if they even connect to Azure although I suspect that they can use ODBC as well. 

Let me know how it goes.

• 4. Re: SQL Azure connection
                thierryjakircevic

Hi Francois,

Thank you for the follow-up. I have tried your suggested procedure but SQL Azure does not appear in my list of DSN (attached screenshot).

Note:

- I am using Tableau Desktop Professional Edition 6.0. 7

- I have installed the driver SQL Server Native Client 10.0 ODBC Driver

Should I install additional drivers? Or is only Tableau Server compatible with SQL Azure?

Thank you for your guidance

Thierry

• 5. Re: SQL Azure connection
                  Francois Ajenstat

I believe that the Azure connection is in the SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client ODBC driver. Make sure that you use the R2 driver.

• 6. Re: SQL Azure connection
                    thierryjakircevic

That's strange. SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client ODBC driver is installed on my machine but I still cannot see SQL Azure in the list of DNS...

Have I missed something here?

• 7. Re: SQL Azure connection
                      Francois Ajenstat

Ahhh, that's because I had created an ODBC DSN called SQLAzure on my machine... Guess that I forgot about that. Sorry.

ok, try this:

- in Tableau, select Connect to Data and choose Other Databases (ODBC)

- change the Driver to SQL Server Native Client 10.0 and then Connect

- type in your SQL Azure login info.

- put in the fully qualified server name. You may need to specify the port number on the Server connection string.  - mine is ppjk2hbde3.database.windows.net,1433

- your login id is your username@servername. (mine was 1433)

- and then choose your table and you should be good to go.

Let me know how it goes,

Francois

• 8. Re: SQL Azure connection
                        Francois Ajenstat

on the above, my user name was francois@ppjk2hbde3 (and not 1433...)

• 9. Re: SQL Azure connection
                          thierryjakircevic

Hi Francois.

I have been doing a number of trials in the last few days and came to the conclusion that I cannot connect to my DB because the Connection Wizard in Tableau does not allow me to specify the DB I want to connect to.

You can select a DB in the OPTIONS but it is a dropdown which does not allow direct input.

When using SQL Server 2008 R2 I can connect to my DB because they are using a combobox allowing me to input the name of my DB (attached screenshot).

Not specifying the DB name in Tableau sends me to the Master DB for which I have no credentials.

I am not an expert in SQL Server Connection Strings. Is there a way for me to specify the DB in the string itself? (like we do with the port number)

Thank you

Thierry

• 10. Re: SQL Azure connection
                            Francois Ajenstat

Did you try creating an ODBC connection in the ODBC data source manager (the one from windows)? it allows type-in values. ANd then you should be able to just use that in Tableau.

send me an email (fajenstat at tableausoftware dot com) so that we can look at this offline.

• 11. Re: SQL Azure connection
                              thierryjakircevic

Setting up the ODBC connection using the ODBC data source manager from Windows did the trick. I could pull the data from my SQL Azure database.

Thank You Francois for your help!

Cheers

Thierry

• 12. Re: SQL Azure connection
                                Francois Ajenstat

Fantastic! Glad that you are up and running. Let me know how things go as your testing progresses.

• 13. Re: SQL Azure connection
                                  guest contributor

I have followed the exact same steps and I can connect but the data coming through is either missing or has a "square" in the data .....

• 14. Re: SQL Azure connection
                                    Francois Ajenstat

I wonder if its a datatype mismatch. are you getting the same results when connecting with another tool - such as Excel or Access?

1 2 Previous Next