11 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2011 10:47 AM by Sam Gechter

Trusted Authentication

priyanka jain

We should pass on the user credentials to Tableau server on post action from our web application. So how can we do the above with following?

a).We need a mapping between the Application user and Tableau Server user i.e. (Storing every tableau user credential separately)

b). we can extract details from the tableau server as a trusted application on the fly and then pass on the user credentials on the wire to Tableau server.

• 1. Re: Trusted Authentication
          guest contributor

I too am interested in this question.

I have implemented the trusted login functionality as specified in the documentation and present the report as an iframe to the user. My problem is that it still asks the user for a login at the tableau server inside the iframe.  This is inconvenient for the user as they have already logged into my web app.

I noticed that when passing in the authentication only user name and client ip are passed in. No password. Does this mean that authentication is only good on that IP address? What if the client moves to another computer or tries to access the report from another location?

• 2. Re: Trusted Authentication
            James Baker

Yes Tim, the redemption of a "trusted ticket" is only valid for one IP/machine/cookie.  If the client moves to another computer, they have to log in to your web app again, don't they?

• 3. Re: Trusted Authentication
              guest contributor

>Yes Tim, the redemption of a "trusted ticket" is only valid for one IP/machine/cookie. If the client moves to another computer, they have to log in to your web app again, don't they?

Yes they will but currently I am not locking the logins to the IP so it is possible for two people to be logged into my app under the same user name from two different computers.

How does this work when you have multiple clients coming in on the same IP address (via a NAT for example?)

• 4. Re: Trusted Authentication
                James Baker

Well the ticket is redeemed for a cookie, which is then submitted on every subsequent HTTP request from the browser on that machine.  So two clients, who redeem two different tickets, will still keep their sessions straight behind a NAT.

The locking of client_ip for tableau tickets is configurable via "tabadmin set" as detailed in the documentation.  i.e. it's optional.

• 5. Re: Trusted Authentication
                  guest contributor

Thanks I think I understand now.

• 6. Re: Trusted Authentication
                    guest contributor

I am frequently getting this error. When I reload it works fine though.

An error has occurred.

Error: Couldn't validate request

Request ID: TZWGRwq08aYAABgcZp0AAABC

Details: Invalid or non-existent ticket

Using ruby to get the ticket and to construct the URL. Works most of the time but sometimes I get this error.

• 7. Re: Trusted Authentication
                      James Baker

Hmm. Can you keep records (or look at tableau server's logs) and find any pattern to the ones that are "invalid or non-existent"?  The ticket IDs should pretty much looks the same (same length).

• 8. Re: Trusted Authentication
                        guest contributor

We have some customers getting this same error in our first major Tableau deployment. We have other workbooks we want to publish but need to get this resolved first.

Error.

An error has occurred.

Error: Couldn't validate request

Request ID: TacYH8xXoGYAABZgmVIAAABC

Details: Invalid or non-existent ticket

• 9. Re: Trusted Authentication
                          Sam Gechter

We're having this trouble too, and it's really intermittent so it's been hard for us to track down. For most of the users who get it a simple browser refresh will load the workbook. But it looks really bad from a customer perspective, and it's happened a number of awkward times, like during demos and webinars.

We do have two customers for whom it happens all the time, every time they try to view reports from within our web app, and refresh doesn't do anything,

Has there been any developments on this front?

Thanks,

Sam

• 10. Re: Trusted Authentication
                            guest contributor

We ended up submitting a ticket through Tableau Support. They suggested a variety of things, most of which we determined weren't the problem. The one thing they did recommend that has helped some, but not all, of the access issues is to upgrade Tableau Server to version 6.0.6. We still have a couple external customers that can't get in. One of them works for the same company as another who couldn't get in before but now can with the Server upgrade. Because of that Tableau now thinks it must be something local to that machine. We are meeting to determine the right questions to ask when we approach these customers. If we have success I'll try to remember to post to this thread. Good luck.

Eric

• 11. Re: Trusted Authentication
                              Sam Gechter

Thanks Eric, that is helpful information. We'll prioritize the upgrade and then if we're still getting the error I'm sure that will drive me back here and I'll check in with you again. :-)