1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2011 10:45 AM by Michael Nealey

Next release?

When is the next release?  Do releases fall on a certain date (first of the month, last Friday of the quarter, etc.)?

• 1. Re: Next release?
          Joe Mako

Does looking at the track record of previous release dates at http://www.tableausoftware.com/support/releases , and the historical interval help you?

• 2. Re: Next release?

Not really (I did look there).  I'm asking for my manager.  Aside from January, it looks [roughly] like at least one release per month.

• 3. Re: Next release?
              guest contributor

The way I convince my manager to keep paying for Tableau maintenance contract (or any other software maintenance contract) is by frequency of major enhancement releases.  So far, Tableau has NOT been meeting our expectation.  Since the maintenance contract is on annual basis, I think annual major enhancement release is necessary.

• 4. Re: Next release?

Guest,

Tableau typically has one to two point releases per year, and 1 full release every 12-14 months.

- Tableau 6.0 was released in November.

- There have been patches roughly once per month since then (I would expect to see release 6.0.6 within two weeks)

- From what I've been hearing, Tableau 6.1 is expected in the early summer timeframe, and will feature significant enhancements for the mobile experience (iPad, Android, etc), as well as other incremental functionality

I'm not sure when 6.2 or 7.0 will be released, but it's a safe bet that we'll they will come in the November-January timeframe.

I would reach out to your sales rep and detail the top pieces of functionality you are interested in so that it gets into the triage queue.

I would also recommend posting on the forums about the functionality you want, as other forum members will likely agree with you. Tableau monitors these forums, and seeing a group of forum members asking for a specific piece of functionality helps to bump it up the priority queue.

Out of curiosity, what is your firm expecting? Is it a question of release frequency, the scope of the release, or a set of specific functionality in a release?

Looking for a full point release more than once per year is not really realistic. Look to Business Objects, Cognos, Spotfire, QlikView, LogiXML, etc etc... none of them have multiple full point releases in a 12 month period. Getting one full release and one to two point releases in that time frame is standard.

There are certainly a *slew* of features that I want (improved export to Excel, proper API, filter ribbon, etc etc) and the lack of that functionality may eventually move me to another platform... but I think Tableau has a great product, and their dev team does a really good job at committing to a strategic direction and executing the **** out of the functionality that supports that strategic direction.

• 5. Re: Next release?
                  John-Paul Della Putta

There are certainly a *slew* of features that I want (improved export to Excel, proper API, filter ribbon, etc etc) and the lack of that functionality may eventually move me to another platform... but I think Tableau has a great product, and their dev team does a really good job at committing to a strategic direction and executing the **** out of the functionality that supports that strategic direction.

- If they started off with an API where we could embed the application within a .NET application, then that would be quite helpful for us. Coming from QlikView, that's one big advantage that Tableau doesn't have.

• 6. Re: Next release?

A real API would be wonderful... I completely agree John-Paul.

• 7. Re: Next release?

John-Paul, I'm curious... what triggered your organization to switch form QlikView to Tableau. We can take the conversation offline if you'd prefer... I can be reached at jsidey@gmail.com

Cheers,

Jamie

• 8. Re: Next release?
                        Alex Blakemore

Changing the major version number frequently has significant cost for some customers. We have to go through an expensive verification and testing process every time the major number changes, but can upgrade more easily when its just a point release.

So I'd love lots of new features, but there's a real cost to us if the same product is labeled 7.0 instead of 6.2.

I sure hope your boss cares that he's getting a new release for his maintenance dollars more than he cares what the number is on the release.

• 9. Re: Next release?
                          guest contributor

Hey Jamie, Any chance of getting a firm date on 6.0.6? I have some other planned upgrades for next week which include downtime and I've been told 6.0.6 will include a fix to url parameters that I have been so dearly waiting for. If this is going to be released shortly, I'll postpone my other updates by a week or two!

Thanks. Happy to take this offline.

• 10. Re: Next release?

Hi Nathan,

I wish I had that kind of visibility, but I don't work for Tableau... I'm a client like you :-)

You could contact your sales rep and ask him/her...

Cheers,

Jamie

• 11. Re: Next release?
                              guest contributor

Haha. well someone is watching from above. The update was released this morning! what a coincidence! :)

• 12. Re: Next release?
                                Robert Sinclair

It's July 22nd. Where is 6.1?

• 13. Re: Next release?
                                  Ed Egan

It's July 26th, where's 6.1?

• 14. Re: Next release?
                                    Ed Egan

Received word it will be available Thursday night after business hours...

1 2 Previous Next