4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2011 12:05 PM by Dean Glasener

Add a Forum Section for Embedding Tableau Vizes - Interactive and Images

Dean Glasener
        • 1. Re: Add a Forum Section for Embedding Tableau Vizes - Interactive and Images
          Joe Mako

The ability to embed Tableau Public views in form postings has been something discussed since Tableau Public was released. I am sure it is on their radar. Tableau employees do not have the same tag restrictions that we do, and they can embed the vizes directly in their comment. I am sure you understand the reason we are not allowed to use the tags for embedding Tableau Public is for security reasons.

I have noticed you talk about Dojo in your comments, why just Dojo, why not other javascript libraries like http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/

I do not see what these lighboxes, or Dojo, have to do with Tableau, other than the people who made Tableau's website decided to use it for laying out the webpage. In other words, this is HTML/CSS/JS stuff, not Tableau stuff, in my opinion.

I believe that the Style Guide that you linked to, specifically the section on the Lightbox is for Tableau Employee use, that is code we are not able to use in our comments on this forum, only Tableau Employees I think.

My thought is that if someone wants to embed a view published to Tableau Server, they would post their question in the Tableau Server forum section, and if they wanted to embed a Tableau Public viz, they would ask in the Tableau Public section. I would not think another forum section would be beatifically, as it would add confusion by creating ambiguous situations.

• 2. Re: Add a Forum Section for Embedding Tableau Vizes - Interactive and Images
            Dean Glasener

Joe,  Thanks for the link to Lightbox2 - I see where there is a means to group [ myTripImages ] - nice.

The new vizpop-tab - used currently by Tableau - must represent a case of eating "one's own dogfood". My real use case for the "new capablest" would be to use it on "client sites - served by client Tableau Server.  I like the stuff of Tableau - and Tableau integration expands the greater web.

• 3. Re: Add a Forum Section for Embedding Tableau Vizes - Interactive and Images
              Andy Cotgreave

Hi Dean

I think I agree with Joe, these popups are not Tableau-specific, but are an implementation of standard web technology customised slightly for the Tableau site.

Personally, I find them quite irritating on most websites. The ones Joe links to are the worst - why waste the time animating a box appearing on your screen, when, in the time that box was drawn, the site could just have loaded the image. They also have really inconsisten user controls, which is terrible, as each site might implement Next/Previous/Close slightly differently.

Fortunately, the way they've been implemented on Tableau's site is quite nice - there's little time wasted on animating the pop-up.

Andy

• 4. Re: Add a Forum Section for Embedding Tableau Vizes - Interactive and Images
                Dean Glasener

Here is a small code sample for displaying Public vizes by groups.  Some may enjoy, use and find the example a benefit.  Also included 2 presentation issues in width of Tabs - when tabs=yes    and  an issue with the column names - when display of columns collapse on reaching pill count on a row.