1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 5, 2008 8:34 AM by

Sample worksheets available to new users even if no permissions

On our Tableau server I have revoked all permissions for Tableau Sample project and workbooks from the "All users" groups, and instead given it to a custom "Samples" group.

When I create a new user (not in th samples group) they cannot see the sample workbooks under the "workbooks" menu, but they can still see them via the "views" menu.

Anyone knows how I can solve this problem?

• 1. Re: Sample worksheets available to new users even if no permissions
          Dav Lion

There is no inheritance model for permissions, so you will have to revoke permissions on the Views themselves, even though you set permissions on their containers.

You can do this easily when setting the permissions on the container (the workbook or the project) by clicking the "Assign" button at the bottom of the Permissions page. 

When you click "Assign", the permissions from the container are copied down to the contained objects.  The copied permissions replace all prior permissions on the contained objects.  If the container is a Workbook, the permissions are copied down to its Views.  If the container is a Project, the permissions are copied down to all of its Workbooks, and also to all of the Views contained in its Workbooks. 

You could also set the permissions directly on the views.