1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2015 10:05 AM by Caroline Gorman Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Support for "Waterfall" charts
        guest contributor

Not sure if its because I'm using Tableau Public.  I uploaded the file to generate a packaged workbook.  Once I did that, the waterfall fixed itself in the online version.  But once I download that and open it in my local Tableau Public version, I still get the detail/aggregation issue seen in my screenshot.  Attached is the packaged workbook. 

• 16. Re: Support for "Waterfall" charts
          Richard Leeke

Version 5.1.3 of Desktop had a new feature added which affects the way table calculations work.  This is what the release notes say:

A new option to "Ignore in Table Calculations" has been added to the context menu for discrete measures, which allows you to add table calculations to the continuous measures in the view.

Your workbook has that option set, so when opened with 5.1.3 or later the waterfall works as you want (and the Public server is at 5.2, which is why it works there).  Unchecking that option changes from how you want to how your screenshot shows.  You must have an older version than 5.1.3 on your desktop.  (5.1.3 shows as 5100.10.0430.2245 in Help About.)

I noticed that in the release notes at the time and wondered what it meant!

I'd download version 5.2 - which is available for Desktop and Public.

• 17. Re: Support for "Waterfall" charts
            Anjaiah K

Can somebody help me in converting attached model into waterfall??

• 18. Re: Support for "Waterfall" charts
              Joe Mako

Anjaiah,

You will need to restructure your data before you can make a waterfall chart. See the examples I provided above, and for more details: http://www.tableausoftware.com/support/knowledge-base/preparing-excel-files-analysis

I reshaped your data and attached an example. Is this what you are looking for? If not can you provide more details on what you expect for a result?

• 19. Re: Support for "Waterfall" charts
                Anjaiah K

Thanks Joe,

The data i have shared with you is a sample. I have a huge data base which cannot be converted to the format you suggested. Can you help in getting that done?

Thank you very much

Anjaiah

• 20. Re: Support for "Waterfall" charts
                  Joe Mako

1. How big is huge? billions of records? or a few million?

2. What is your data source?

3. Are you allowed to make an extract?

4. How many steps in the waterfall do you want? (your example only had three)

The option I am thinking of is custom SQL, it would allow you to reshape your data when you connect, and you can create an extract to increase the refresh speed.

If you had 10 million records, and wanted 5 steps in the waterfall chart, you could use custom SQL to transform the data Tableau sees into 50 million records, and enable Tableau to create the waterfall chart.

• 21. Re: Support for "Waterfall" charts
                    Anjaiah K

So here are the details..

The database is in Ms access and has a million records. I need waterfall for 10 steps (I have ten columns) . I am not allowed to make an extract. Hope this details help us. Please let me if you need any other details.

Thanks

• 22. Re: Support for "Waterfall" charts
                      Joe Mako

Create a new connection in Tableau, select your table, and then change the option from "Single Table" to "Custom SQL". This will give you a bunch of text. Select all the text, and copy-paste it into notepad, or some other text editor. Save and attach the text file to a comment here, and list the 10 columns of interest in the comment.

• 23. Re: Support for "Waterfall" charts
                        Anjaiah K

Hi,

details description of what I need.

Data is in excel file attached. The table comes from a ms access database. I have just shared column names and their grand total values here.

description

This help us in understanding profit/Loss. Premium and additional incomes are my income sources and are distributed into claims, cost, other items ,financial cost and gross contribution margin.

Gross contribution margin further divided into rebate, provision and nett contribution margin.

So 500 and 120 are being received from clients for the insurance services I have provided and in return I am paying out 510 as claims and so on till Gross contribution margin( which is further divided into 3 items you can see them from the graph)

I have attached graph also.

Hope this help us..

Thanks in adavance

• 24. Re: Support for "Waterfall" charts
                          Joe Mako

Attached is a quick example using custom SQL.

• 25. Re: Support for "Waterfall" charts
                            Anjaiah K

Excellent help. It helped me in great deal. Thank you very much

• 26. Re: Support for "Waterfall" charts
                              Anjaiah K

Hi There,

Your previous help was really helped in big time. Thanks for it. I need more help from you. We have multiple sheets brought together in the dashboard and have filter set for all graphs. We cannot afford to have custom SQL, as it separates graph source from other graphs and filter do not work on waterfall anymore. I have shared the db with here. Can you please make waterfall from this DB, so that we will be connected to the same source and all the filters work as normal.

The columns are below

1. pnl_bruto_geb_premie

2.pnl_verevening

3.pnl_netto_schade

4. pnl_kosten

5. pnl_overig

6. pnl_normrendement

7. pnl_bcm

8. pnl_korting

9. pnl_provisie

10.pnl_ncm

pnl_bruto_geboekte_premie, pnl_verevening are the incomes.pnl_netto_schade,pnl_kosten,pnl_overig,pnl_normrendement are the costs. when we deduct cost from income, we get pnl_bcm( Gross profit). Then if we deduct pnl_korting,pnl_provisie from pnl_bcm, we get pnl_ncm( Profit).

Hope this will give the picture on how the graph look like and I have also attached graph below which gives an idea to how do it.

• 27. Re: Support for "Waterfall" charts
                                Joe Mako

How about a slightly different custom SQL, in this one I am guessing that "Klant_bsn" is your unique identifier for each row, and using that field to join the reshaped data with the original data, so you get the best of both structures, and can create nearly any analysis that you want.

Using your new data, I connected to it as-is, and made a dashboard with filters. I was not sure what you would want in your other views on the dashboard.

• 28. Re: Support for "Waterfall" charts
                                  guest contributor

Joe Mako:  Wow, cannot tell you how much I appreciate the help on this.  I now have a working waterfall that I can use for just about anything.  I've used yours as a base.  I also mod'd the formula to control colors (better for me)....so I've got a starting point color, up, down, and final (total).  Since I know the starting point and end points of the bridge I can put them right in the formula.  Very very happy, thx.

iif(Sum([Amount])= 220,"a Q2", iif(Sum([Amount])= 202,"b Q2",iif(Sum([Amount])<0,"Per Unit Down","Per Unit Up")))

• 29. Re: Support for "Waterfall" charts
                                    guest contributor

More praise! Thank you for the waterfall 'workaround'. Why more software does not have this as a default chart type is beyond me.

But thank you, Joe.