10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2012 8:00 AM by Agustin Diaz

Wow, I cannot believe this doesn't work on Mac OS

. chipmeans

The publishing industry is dominated by Mac users.  It is absolutely insane to me that you developed this amazing product, which extremely appealing to anyone running a news web site, and it's only available on Windows.

Why?  Are you owned by Microsoft?

• 1. Re: Wow, I cannot believe this doesn't work on Mac OS
          guest contributor

I too, have been wanting a Mac OS X version of Tableau for several years for the medical industry. Even a Mac version of the Tableau Reader would be of use to me. I am working with a Non-profit right now who is a Mac shop that could benefit tremendously from Tableau, but in order to use it they would have to either set up a dedicated Windows machine and then RDC into it to use Tableau, or else virtualize Windows on their desktop and laptop Macs which is way too cost prohibitive, not to mention adding in the Windows training and support that would generate. Tableau Server might be a great option, but it doesn't run on a Mac Server. This is very disappointing with such a great product.

• 2. Re: Wow, I cannot believe this doesn't work on Mac OS
            Paul Tomlinson

As far as servers go, Mac tends to be fairly infrequent.  I can see the desktop version doing quite well, but the OS X Server line isn't an extensive player in the field (and thus a less profitable market).

However, if they expanded their install base to include BSD, Unix, and Linux, OS X would come for free.  Given that the server stack is running Java under Tomcat with Apache and uses an internal PostgreSQL database for caching, It's a little perverse that it's targeted for a Windows install anyway.  Controlling deployment on a mixture of servers is tough though - too many competing package management strategies (Debian pkg, Redhat RPM, etc.).  They'd have to go non-standard in order to reduce development effort, and roll a Java based installer or the like (a la Oracle, which has the same problem but has successfully addressed those environments).

Personally, I'd love to see additional server environments considered, especially given the ostensibly low barrier of entry (they don't have to port the core app, just the install and environmental config).  I'm biased though, since we're a Linux shop for most of our servers anyway (we also have a fully licensed Tableau Server 5.1 install with numerous bells and whistles too, so this is money talking [hint hint Tableau Support Staff hint hint] - just FYI).

• 3. Re: Wow, I cannot believe this doesn't work on Mac OS
              James Baker

Just want to point out that the core app would in fact have to be ported (where else would visualizations be rendered?), which doesn't involve the UI, true, but does involve disentangling some logic from the UI.

I'll repeat what has been said in other threads, which is that we'd love to spread to more platforms (server/linux and desktop/mac seem to me to be the top two), but it's really a high-level question of engineering resources and features and ROI and marketing and... well, I'm just an engineer.  I can guarantee that the answer is not "never" (mostly because that can't be proven wrong, ha), but I don't know when.

• 4. Re: Wow, I cannot believe this doesn't work on Mac OS
                guest contributor

Hi James (& others),

An alternative to porting the application is to emulate the API.

Code Weavers sell a service of 'porting' applications to OSX by emulating the windows API calls that the program makes.  I don't know for sure, but I'd guess it would be a quicker and easier project than writing and maintaining a full port.

Something else to think about anyway!

• 5. Re: Wow, I cannot believe this doesn't work on Mac OS
                  Eron Lloyd

Judging from the developer job descriptions, it seems Tableau is written in C++. If this is the case, perhaps the best solution would be to port the app to Nokia's Qt framework, which has advanced graphic and database support, and is truly cross-platform. I'm currently running Tableau on OSX via Parallels, which is an alright compromise but very resource intensive on heavy workbooks.

• 6. Re: Wow, I cannot believe this doesn't work on Mac OS
                    . scott1588

I use Tableau with Parallels on the Mac and it works fine. It would be nice to have a native version, though, and avoid Windows altogether.

• 7. Re: Wow, I cannot believe this doesn't work on Mac OS
                      Michael Cristiani

elloyd and scott588,

Can you explain how you have Parallels set up so that it Tableau can save Extracts locally?  I keep getting the thing about having to save to a local drive, not a network drive.  Seems to be seeing the '.psf' as a network drive.

Thanks for any help

Michael W Cristiani

• 10. Re: Wow, I cannot believe this doesn't work on Mac OS
                        Agustin Diaz

I work with RDC and I'm very happy... my tableau server is in Amazon services...

My only problem is that my sysadmin team are all the time joking about my window server... we have just one windows (tableau) server of more of 70 machines