5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2019 7:40 AM by Oren Hirsch

Multiple Layers on Map but Limit Filter to Single Layer

Oren Hirsch

I have been working with Tableau for awhile to visualize transit data from GTFS (General Transit Feed Specification). I have been trying to create a visualization where I can show all the bus stops in a system and then highlight the stops served by a specific route or trip pattern. I've been playing with parameters and also saw a thread about how to use a calculated field to create a filter that only applies to a single layer, and that seems to work well enough.  But now I am unable to change the viz to show on a map, instead the data is just plotted on a graph.  While this has some functionality, it doesn't allow me or a user on the dashboard to zoom in and actually examine which stops are part of a route and which stops are not.  Does anyone have any guidance on why this can't show up as a map?

• 1. Re: Multiple Layers on Map but Limit Filter to Single Layer
          Jim Dehner

Hi

I'm a bit confused on what you want - I had a user that wanted to be able to create custom regions based on zip codes and also use the zip codes on a map with the goal of selecting the region as a whole or the individual zip -

is that similar to what you want?

Needed to use Qgis to create a map that overlayed the regions and the zip

I keep a copy of the end result on my Public Site at Tableau Public

it looks like this (only the Tableau part)

If that is along the lines of what you want let me know and I will forward the Qgis part

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 2. Re: Multiple Layers on Map but Limit Filter to Single Layer
            Don Wise

Hi Oren,

Just an observation, you're using dual-axis for both Rows (Latitude) and Columns (Longitude).  That methodology is probably what's limiting you. Which is why you're not seeing a map.  You're seeing X/Y. 

If you can, post your workbook so we can help you to adjust that.  Best, Don

• 3. Re: Multiple Layers on Map but Limit Filter to Single Layer
              Oren Hirsch

Here is the workbook (with the relevant sheets only).  Visual Stop Verification is the version I had which filters out any stop that isn't included on the selected route.  Visual Stop Verification (2) is the sheet I'm asking about in this query. 

I have Tableau Desktop 2019.2.4.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Multiple Layers on Map but Limit Filter to Single Layer
                Don Wise

Hi Oren,

Looking at the workbook it looks like you're blending the data sources.  I will use blending only as last resort for a number of reasons.  Blending only allows for a native left-join, so that's all you'll get between the two data sources. It's limiting.

Ideally and preferably, you'd bring in your spatial file left side and JOIN using the intersect feature with your points (lat/lon) data on the right side within the Data Source (Data Source tab) Pane Window.  You can select a particular set of lat/lon points (Stop Lat/Lon) and use MAKEPOINT (Latitude, Longitude) function as part of the join calculation to intersect on.  I think you'll get much better results thereafter.  Here's an example of what that would look like:

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 11.35.57 AM.png 

Thereafter you'd bring your GEOMETRY from measures (from your .shp file) over to the Marks Card and then a dual-axis Dual Axis Mapping - Many Ways method to overlay your Stop Points onto your .shp file data (which may be a polygon or line or points).  Best, Don

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Multiple Layers on Map but Limit Filter to Single Layer
                  Oren Hirsch

Don,

Thank you for this information, it did help me get to where I wanted to go (or much closer to it).  Ultimately, Tableau is not as versatile as GIS (and I never expect it to be), but I did get to a better spot with regard to what I want to show clients.  Thanks again!

Oren